Kuhli loach: questionable ID?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ren

Kuhli loach: questionable ID?

Post by Ren » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi There everyone, I've been stalking the forums here for awhile and have been absorbing all sorts of wonderful information from everyone. I have a little group of six kuhli's that were sold as banded kuhli's but I have noticed some variation between them. Three (or is it four?) have the traditional colorations and I've decided they are either Pangio kuhlii or Pangio semicincta. I'm thinking that they are likely Pangio kuhlii. The others look similar however they have a more jagged outline and their markings extend further down their body... that's not a very good description I realize so I'm including some pictures as well. They are not the best quality but I can try and get some clearer pictures if they are needed. Anyway, they are all perfectly happy with each other and group together so there isn't a problem or anything I was just curious as to if these slightly oddball colored loaches were different from the others. Or maybe this is just a more juvenile coloration that they haven't fully grown into yet? Any advice or comments are appreciated. :)

Probably one of the more clearer pictures however this one doesn't display the 'jaggedness' as well as the others:

A couple more:

Also today I can safely say that one of the kuhli's is certainly a female...eggs in ze belly! :D The picture didn't turn out well but it is a lot more obvious in person. The slightly off colored section is the eggs.

Well that's all for now. Hopefully one of you loach experts can shed a bit of light on this or, if not, maybe offer up some possible suggestions. :) In either case I look forward to hearing other peoples opinions on the matter.

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Lovely fish :) Hope somebody can shed some light on their type.
Carol

Francois van Brederode

Post by Francois van Brederode » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Pardon my English, I'm from Holland....

Ren

Post by Ren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Butterfly: Thanks, I really do enjoy them. :)

Francois: I was also considering that however the markings just didn't seem to match up well enough. Although mine are somewhat mottled like those mine seem to have a more defined pattern whereas they don't. Ah well perhaps a hybrid? lol

bandslate

Re: Kuhli loach: questionable ID?

Post by bandslate » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:59 am

The fish's eyes look so bright and attractivegeometry dash lite. Surely when you look at photos, it's easy to get caught up in them. I'm researching and reading documents about it. Not easy to come across and see.

anewbie

Post by anewbie » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:26 pm

I think 4 or 5 species are commonly sold as pangio kuhli with the most common being semicincta; the fish in the last picture looks like a semincincta. The first picture might be a true kuhli or who knows. I had one pangio that had diamond shape stripes - we very unusual and pretty but no clue on exact species. The only two i can easily identify are myersi (because they are large and i have on huge one left) and shelfordii which are small.

In your case i suspect the first fish is a true kuhli since the black stripes go all the way down and the last one (female) is a semicincta since those stripes tend to stop short; but i'm mostly clueless so you might want to ignore me - also some fishes with-in a species have odd stripes - i suppose you could cut it up and and a dna test but i suspect you would be better off just enjoying the fish.

katyswift468

Post by katyswift468 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:42 am

I want to keep Khuli Loaches, I love the look of the little guys and I'm obsessed so id like to keep at least 6, with maybe 6 or so Cherry barbs Mapquest Directions

madelinegarrison

Post by madelinegarrison » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:25 pm

The kuhli loach is a non-aggressive and serene fish that prefers to live in schools of at least three fish. This species gets along best with other small, peaceful fish.drift hunters