strange behavoiur from a kubotia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

arny

strange behavoiur from a kubotia

Post by arny » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

on saturday i bought a kubotia (with the plan to buy at least 2 more once the shop gets some more in). i put him in my community tank and after a couple of days of hiding he finally came out to eat. after putting the sinking pellets in he went and found some but immediately took them the the tunnel where the upside down catfish lives, he dropped the pellets at the entrance and the catfish ate them. the loach did this at least 10 times before going to his own corner to eat. i have fed him 2 more times since and both times he does the same thing. has anyone else seen any weird loachy behavoiur?
i find this really odd but fascinating to watch.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 am

Loaches do lots of weird things to make their owners go crazy!!

I've never witnessed such behavior, but it sounds fascinating.

Enjoy your funny loach!! Just wait till he has friends....then the party really begins!
:)
A person's a person no matter how small.
Dr. Seuss

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 pm

I am amazed that he is grabbing the sinking pellets assuming he is small. My guys are between 2 and 3 inches and they don't take pellets yet. They only feed on granules, crisps and brine shrimp. I have tried to put a few pellets in the tank, but they just investigate and leave them alone.

arny

Post by arny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am

hes just under 2 inches these are mini pellets theyre about a third of the size of regular pellets. my loaches and catfish love them the only problem is you have to put more in as the top feeding fish can get/eat them more easily then the regular pellets and they sink more slowly so i pre soak them.

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:08 am

What brand are the "mini" pellets? I would like to try some.

I find the TetraMin tropical granules for the most part sink to the bottom, usually I put them in the filter outflow hence they get a good downward momentum to take them to the bottom. Same with crisps, in the filter outflow to get them to the bottom.

arny

Post by arny » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 pm

they are King British tropical fish mini pellets. i live in england so if you're from some where else they might not sell them. putting them in the filter overflow is a good idea i might have to try that as my loaches are in a community tank they have top feeders to compete with and i always wonder if they get enough food.

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, will grab some when I am in europe soon. You will really enjoy Kubs, they are fantastic fish. Their true behaviour won't come out until you have at least 3.

arny

Post by arny » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:19 am

went to a different shop yesterday and they had 15 different species of loach including kubs so got 2 more but i will definitely be going back there loaches are my favorite type of fish.

cashmart35

Re: strange behavoiur from a kubotia

Post by cashmart35 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 pm

That behavior is totally normal! B. Kubotia (Kubs) are a very boisteruius species of Botiine loach. Kubs are teh most active of the smaller Botiines in my experience. They will chase small dihter fish, play hide ans seek games with each other and also like many other loaches they do the "loachy dance" by swiming rapidly up and down the glass and they may even do this in a circular formation.