Clowns in warmer water become more aggressive?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

vealboy

Clowns in warmer water become more aggressive?

Post by vealboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:35 am

I have been keeping my water temp 76-79F, but now during an Ich treatment I have raised the water temp considerably and it seems that the clowns are very active, and may actually be more aggressive.

I've had water at 86-90F, and at day 2 of treatment I found my clowns munching on a fallen tankmate. Now I didn't witness the clowns or my lone cichlid kill the male gourami, but prior to this. I did see one clown antagonizing the gourami. The clown would swim up to him and start picking at his side, and then chase him. This was a fairly regular occurance.

So I wanted to know has anyone else experienced something similar when clowns are kept at warmer temps?

arny

Post by arny » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:39 pm

it could have been that the gourami was showing signs of illness and the clowns sensing its time of weakness wanted to get an easy meal? maybe? im sure there will be better suggestions

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:10 pm

I keep mine at 80-81*F , no aggression but no cichlids, gouramis or ich. Sick fish often get picked on by other fish. But with discus at least, high temps=higher metabolism=increased appetite (& shorter lifespan?)

Sorry you're having problems

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:04 pm

In the summer my tank hovers between a mid- 29 and 31 and small change C, and in Feb it'll drop to 25 or 26, and this past year to 22C. I see no particular difference in aggression; my fish just seem to be hyperactive and nasty regardless. They all play well together, but every morning and evening it's like the rugby world cup final in there.
I have angels that hold their own (ie: run the show- vicious) in what anyone else here would call a "grr" tank.

They'll shred a wayward frog to skeleton in seconds, yet I still can't get them to eat earthworms.... Madness.....
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Huh...so maybe it is just a coincidence. The dearly departed male gourami would almost endlessly bully and chase the female, and on occassion would mix it up with the pleco. The little guy seemed really active, so I was really suprised to see him on the substrate, with his eyes missing.

As I said, I can't say for certain it what caused the untimely demise of the gourami, i just suspected the clowns since I saw them enjoying some really fresh food. He seemed really active and healthy just hours before he was dead.

:?