Up to which temperatures

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

aurora

Up to which temperatures

Post by aurora » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I have a 200 liter tank for my loaches(Sewellias, Beaufortias, Nemacheilus binotatus and (not really a loach) stiphodons). This tank is on the first floor where the temperature of the water never reaches higher than 27 C(usually it's around 22 degrees). Now I would like to move them to a 160 liter tank on the second floor. The problem is that the water there gets up to 30 C in the summer when it's really hot.

So my question is, up to which temperatures can I keep my fish healthy.

I also have a empty 54 liter tank on the first floor so if 1 or 2 species can't be in those high temperatures they could be moved there.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

To get a fast answer, go to http://www.loaches.com/.

In the upper right corner is a search box. Enter your fish name there and it will give the correct temperature for each one. (if they are loaches)

aurora

Post by aurora » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:29 pm

That's why I ask it here. The max temperature for the sewellia would be 23.8 C but they have done well when the temperature was 26-27 degrees. I get that for a longere period of time the best temperature would be aroud 22 degrees, and that's what the fish will get. But I would like to know if they will be ok when the temperature will be 30 C for a couple of days in the summer.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:37 pm

For a few days to a week; yes. For longer periods of time, I would think no.

janma

Post by janma » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Have good aeration and they should be fine. Some tips for cooling are to take the covers off, switching off light during the day, have a fan to blow on the surface if possible. These tricks help a little.
-Janne

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:11 pm

All these fish will tolerate higher temperatures IF they are provided with adequate oxygen. This means lots of water-movement and surface disturbance for gaseous exchange.

Sustained periods of elevated temps are likely to be detrimental to the fishes' overall health and may affect longevity.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Francois van Brederode

Post by Francois van Brederode » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Like Janma already mentioned, having fans blow across the water can drop the temp several degrees.

I have 2 4,5volt terrarium fans on my hillstream tank, and even with the hot period we had in Holland a few weeks ago the temp never went above 24 degrees even if it was 32 in the room.

Mind you, it evaporates 2-3 litres a day :)
Whatever makes the fish happy.

anyway, computer fans work just as well provided they don't get soaked with sprayed water.

Veel sucses
Pardon my English, I'm from Holland....

aurora

Post by aurora » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 am

Thank you all for helping me.
When it's that hot I usually shut down the lights and I remove the cover. Ik could try building something with computer fans, to help cool it down even more.

So with good movement in the water and survace and possibly an air pump they should be fine. That's good to hear.
Thanks all :D