Gastromyzon viriosus

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jim Powers

Gastromyzon viriosus

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Today I went to my favorite lfs to pick up some frozen foods after not having been there for a couple of weeks.
Since I had been there they got an order of "Borneo Suckers" that were mostly G. ctenocephalus with the exception of three beautiful G. viriosus!!
They are great looking fish with the smallest and most colorful one being about 1.25" (2.5cm) and the largest two about 2" (5cm).
I will try to get some pics but I am having some camera software issue and have decided to look into getting a new camera.
So, check out the Borneo Sucker shipments in the stores, folks. You just might find some of these jewels! :D
Thanks to Emma for the pic! :)
Last edited by Jim Powers on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm

just great :D

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:33 pm

What can you tell me about them? Are they shy?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Great luck Jim! I check every week in hopes of finding these. Good luck with them.

LES..

Post by LES.. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 am

Jim Powers wrote:What can you tell me about them? Are they shy?
The one I own is a very chilled out loach, not shy as such and will go about its business without much fear of anything. Since i switched to JBL Tab food which sticks to stones and glass it has even got into the habit of trying to munch on my finger nail as i place to food. This may be down to the fact it is the largest hillie in my tank so does not need to take any nonsense from the other loaches, they will bother it but it just keeps on wandering paying very little attention.

I would very much like to find a few companions for mine, it really is a delight to keep. Good luck with yours (-:

LES..

-edit-
I have just realized the picture you have is of my loach that I picked up from Emma's shop (-:

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 am

Great stuff Jim! Good find.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

avant

Post by avant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 am

I used to have one that came in as a contaminant as well. Definitely a good find!
- daryl

Kajsa12

Post by Kajsa12 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 pm

What can you tell me about them? Are they shy?
My viriosus are the boldest Gastro's in the tank. (other Gastro's: G. scitulus, G. zebrinus/stellatus, G. ctenocephalus)
They are not shy at all.

hx

Post by hx » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:19 pm

You people are the worst.
Here I was, once again, totally happy with the 5ish species of hillsters in my tanks, minding my business...BAM!

I want more.

Truly a nice find, Jim. 'Grats. Pics!
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:49 am

they are first on my breeding list as soon as the female is "ready". this autumn perhaps. they remind me of ocellatus in their behaviour, not shy at all.

Katy

Post by Katy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Pretty!

I'm with Hx...

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Great find, Jim. :D About two months ago, one of my Singapore suppliers actually listed Gastromyzon viriosus as a species in their own right (alongside the usual catch-all 'Borneo Suckers') on their 'weekly specials' stocklist. They stayed on that list for a few weeks, then were gone. So from that I would say that they are finding more of them or fishing for the Gastros in an area that is yielding more of that particular species than before.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 pm

That sounds interesting. They may be available more often!! :D

ch.koenig

Post by ch.koenig » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 am

I doubt it, Jim.
I have heard about "new" names on lists, Emma.
after my article in Amazonas-Magazin of mai/june things are clear in the german speaking part of europe. I even transmitted it to Singapore. importers here still find it difficult to handle as long as the suppliers side doesn't move.
but it's a long way to tipperary. "my" importer e.g. had an open ear and put g. sp "punctulatus" on the new list. just in case.
others even go further and invent new species
http://www.mimbon.de/downloads/Stocklist-mimbon.pdf
my respects for the importers work - omobranchus zebra e.g. right now, a highlight as I have just have my catch salaria fluviatilis in a tank - but this is irritating and not professional
that means: wait and hope ...
and have a closer look at the new arrivals in Frankfurt - today e.g.
cheers Charles

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:07 am

I guess in some ways it adds to the excitement of the unknown , not knowing what may be in those bags of fish :) but I guess if you really are looking forward to seeing a particular fish then it can be a disappointment :!:

Years ago when Sucking loaches were wild caught the interesting cyprinids that used to be piggy backed too was fantastic :!: things like Gara's , Lobocheilus's , Osteochilus's etc, etc , :D though we now take some of them for granted :?: