Water for my Clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jeep04

Post by jeep04 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:34 pm

I thought that as well, but the only window in the room with the tank is never opened so no light there. I really think the brown algae is coming from to many water changes, since it was fine before i started the twice a week schedule. Now that i went back to the once a week for the last 2 weeks it has gone away. My Gold Nugget Pleco does not eat any type of algae and never comes out of his log. Don't really see why people keep these fish, they are way over priced and there a crap factory.I'm in the middle of trying to talk the wife into a 125 gal she's not liking the idea, But im not giving up the fight for a bigger loach home that easy. Oh well, Thank you all for your help again
100 gallon with 1 Clown Loach,2 satanoperca leucosticta , 1 geophagus dicrozoster,1 geo pindare, 2 Long finned albino bristlenose. 75gal with single Red Devil

Sharkscott2

Post by Sharkscott2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:58 pm

I keep a combination of Siamese Algae Eaters and Bristle Nose Plecos to keep my algae in check.

I'm not an expert on plecos but I know that many types don't really eat much algae. Or only eat it when they're young.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:57 pm

If the tap water is problematic, then you should just stop using it straight from the tap. Quite a few people here have the same problem and they now use RO water .

RO = Reverse Osmosis

I got a 5 stage 100 gallon per day RO + DI system on ebay for about $100. For me, it's paid for itself because I don't need to buy bottled water anymore.

Setting up an RO system for water changes takes some planning. You'd need to get a large storage tank for the product water, and get a pump and hose so that you can fill up your aquarium easily. You'd also need to add minerals back to the water because RO water is nearly pure water. Adding minerals can be done a few ways. You can buy a mineral mix from the LFS or you can DIY (w/crushed coral & baking soda).