Heads Up *new pics added 21-08-10*

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Heads Up *new pics added 21-08-10*

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up to let you know Vaillantella maassi (Forktail Loach) are again currently appearing in the trade in quantity:

These fish come from an international shipper, so they could turn up anywhere! If they are on your wish list, be on the look out or ask your LFS if they could check their suppliers lists to see if they are on there.

As you can see, in the batch above, there are some other Vaillantella species mixed in too.

It is currently a new season for many of the botiids, with small (less than 3 or 4 cm) fish appearing. These include B. rostrata, B. almorhae, B. histrionica, and B. kubotai amongst others. Also available at the moment are tiny (<1.5cm) Borneo Suckers (Gastromyzon sp.) which will need the best care if they are to do well.

Also, here are some new loaches, both from a previously unexplored location in central Borneo. Apologies for pic quality, will try and get some more shots in the photo tank soon:

"Python Loach"

"Gold Dust Horse Face Loach" (being marketed as a Kottelatlimia sp.)

The latter are capable of incredible colour change depending on substrate, and spend quite a bit of time buried in the sand.

Emma
Last edited by Emma Turner on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Emma , Id say there are V. euepiptera in the bag too ! the fish right in the middle with the line through its eye , and broken marks along its back :!:

That so called Python loach looks very similar to a loach that used to be quite common in the hobby , it used to come in as either N.kuiperi or N. fasciatus , the top lobe of the caudal was longer than the bottom lobe similar to that in N . maysae ! possibly a male trait ? they also develope a little black line under the eye , very nice fish !

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

WOW!! 8)
I would love to find Vaillantella maassi again.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks Emma, I'll keep my eyes open. I have 3 v. maassi, 2 females & 1 male but they're rarely out since moving them to a larger tank. I can't figure it out. Some of those others look interesting too, great pics.

Mad Duff

Re: Heads Up

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:07 pm

I will be sure to be on the look out for some Vaillantella maassi.
Emma Turner wrote: It is currently a new season for many of the botiids, with small (less than 3 or 4 cm) fish appearing. These include B. rostrata, B. almorhae, B. histrionica, and B. kubotai amongst others.
Would you by any chance have any pics of those small histies :?:

Are they wild caught or farm bred :?:

It would be nice to compare their markings to my tank bred fish

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Emma Turner

Re: Heads Up

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Mad Duff wrote:
Emma Turner wrote:It is currently a new season for many of the botiids, with small (less than 3 or 4 cm) fish appearing. These include B. rostrata, B. almorhae, B. histrionica, and B. kubotai amongst others.
Would you by any chance have any pics of those small histies :?:

Are they wild caught or farm bred :?:

It would be nice to compare their markings to my tank bred fish
No photos, as we have plenty of the above in stock at the moment and therefore do not need to order them at present. This thread was just a heads up that it is a new season for many of the botiids, and lots of small specimens are currently available from numerous suppliers (as is usual for this time of the year).

Emma

Kush

Post by Kush » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:59 am

That first bag of fish, NICE! Hope Graeme has a bib handy. :wink:

Jim and Nancy, my fingers are crossed too.

Emma, thanks for the loach envy. :wink:
If sucess or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do. How would I be? What would I do?

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 am

That last fish is Kottelatlimia hipporhynchos I think. Nice!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey Kush, nice to see you! 8)
I have with me 20 of the Vaillantella sp's acclimatizing as I speak! woOt! :D

Kush

Post by Kush » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Hey Kush, nice to see you!
You as well. :D

How is or did the acclimation go(ing)? 20,WOW! Guaranteed to see 1 or 2 in the tank now. :P Still have any of your orginal's around?
If sucess or failure of this planet and of human beings depended on how I am and what I do. How would I be? What would I do?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Todd, the new ones are settling in well thanks, no loss's so far and all seem active and healthy. None of my old ones left I'm afraid but the collection is being re-built. 8)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Here's some clearer pics of the 'contaminant' Vaillantella species that came in with the V. maassi:

We think these look slightly different to V. cinnamomea, does anyone think these could be V. euepiptera?

Emma

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm

piggy4 wrote:Hi Emma , Id say there are V. euepiptera in the bag too ! the fish right in the middle with the line through its eye , and broken marks along its back :!:"

That so called Python loach looks very similar to a loach that used to be quite common in the hobby , it used to come in as either N.kuiperi or N. fasciatus , the top lobe of the caudal was longer than the bottom lobe similar to that in N . maysae ! possibly a male trait ? they also develope a little black line under the eye , very nice fish !

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Superb pictures! 8)

Kush

Post by Kush » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:24 am

Great pic's, indeed! Those close-up's are killer!

Reference for anyone interested:

V. euepiptera pdf: http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/41/41rbz113-118.pdf

V. cinnamomea pdf: http://www.wdc-jp.biz/pdf_store/isj/pub ... /40404.pdf

Figure 5-a in the euepiptera pdf has me thinking they're V. euepiptera.

Are they shorter than the maassi? They seem like it. Maybe a pic with these and a maassi together? <--hint,hint :wink: Video would work too. :P

Graeme, I'm looking forward to pics from you soon! :D