Veggies for clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pywakyt

Veggies for clowns

Post by Pywakyt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm

I have 4 clowns and 3 dojo and a pleco in my tank wondering what veggies to feed them and should they be cooked or raw? I know plecos will sometimes eat zucchini and clowns will eat broccoli and cauliflower I think. But again wondering if raw or cooked and what other veggies. Or maybe even fruit? never heard of fruit being fish food just wondering.
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

deammers

veggies

Post by deammers » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello All, my first time here ...
I just wanted to let you know that my 2 clown loaches go nuts for watermelon. I enjoyed watching them attack it with gusto, and then return to their cave to peek out waiting for the next treat.

Dean

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Cool thank you Dean I have some in the fridge now I am going to try it. I'll let you know how it goes!

clint

Post by clint » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 pm

My guys enjoy cucumbers.

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:06 am

I tried the watermelon and NO one in the tank ate any of it. I have had my clowns and dojos for over a year and my pleco for over 7 and have never fed them any fresh veggies or fruit. Any advice on how to intice them to eat new foods? They have only been fed flakes and sometimes frozen food to this point.

Stonecoloured

Post by Stonecoloured » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 am

Good afternoon,

I feed my loaches and plecs the following:

Raw patato (peeled so the skin doesnt mess the tank)
Melon
Kewi fruit (again peeled or cut in quarters)
sweetcorn (raw and on the cob or just out of a tin)
cucumber
courgette
lettuce (raw and attatched to something)

I hope this helps, loaches will eat most fruits. I tend to find when introducing new foods, it helps if you squish a small bit into pieces, once they get the idea it's food they should attatck the larger piece

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:00 am

I agree. Sometimes the fish don't recognize it as food. If you have a pleco, they will usually sample any vegetable and then the loaches get the idea. I find parboiling really helps to get everyone to try new vegetables.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am

IME, veggies stay edible in the water much longer when they are raw. Not all my fish eat veggies at the same time, so I like to leave them in the water for about 24 hours. If anything is leftover after that time, I can remove it before it turns into mush and dissolves.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I leave the veggies in over night, and anything not eaten goes into my pleco tank where it is demolished in the the next ten minutes. :) They are my clean up eaters.

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:12 am

Awsome thank you guys. I am trying parboiled zucchini and broccoli tonight. Wish me luck :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am

To get new fish to try new veg I poke a small hole & stick in a piece of pellet. I found banana & broccoli to be pretty messy