My Weather Loaches had babies!!!!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaffinated

Re: My Weather Loaches had babies!!!!

Post by kaffinated » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:59 am

Btw, no, I jumped the gun on this one - I've learned a LOT since then *blush* and no, those were worms from my roommate feeding them WAY more than she should have been whenever I was away (which at the time was often unfortunately)... I still see one once in a blue moon but not the infestation I had back then and I've read that's pretty normal.

shahnawaz

Post by shahnawaz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 am

kaffinated wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm
I have two golden weather loaches I've had for less than two weeks and today I found at least 4 little tiny tiny tiny almost threadlike babies wiggling all around the tank. I never noticed eggs, nothing (and my substrate is black sand) but omg they're adorable!!! I tried getting pics of em but I was having issues so I'm gonna try again tomorrow. Everything I've read says that they don't breed in captivity and I just wanted to share how cool it was that I only got two cause I ran into the petstore for something else and couldn't resist and not long after I've got wee ones too!!!

Pics as soon as I can, promise. But literally, just picture from 1/4 inch to an inch long thin threads wiggling around the tank =-)

I'm so excited!!!
wow its an amazing of two golden weather loaches

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm

There's a very huge risk, if these are baby dojos, that they could get eaten by the other tank inhabitants. You should move them at once to a separate fry tank to let them grow out (supply fry food for them, which you can get at your LFS, and keep the tank clean). If they turn out to not be dojos, but something else, you can determine at that time if you wish to keep them. If they are worms, they may serve as food for your larger fish. They won't last long in a community tank with hungry predators.

Also, I advise that you keep a tight lid on your tank. Dojos are notorious for escaping through whatever openings they can fit through, and they can live for a short time out of water. To prevent escaping, make sure that whatever equipment holes are in your lid are too small for them to get through. Fry, if those are fry, will slip through almost any opening, so a fry tank needs a solid lid with no holes in it.

Let's hope these reallly are dojo fry. If not, you will still have learned something.