Ponderings.....

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mike Ophir

Ponderings.....

Post by Mike Ophir » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:41 am

As I sit here and come to realize that Loaches Online is drastically changing and modernizing for the better, I want to take the time to reflect on my experience with loaches online over the past 9 years. I first came across loaches online in the late 1997 as a young loach enthusiast eager to find information on the new Skunk Botia (Botia morleti) that I had just aquired from a local fish shop.
As is the case now and as has always been, I quickly realized how educated and helpful all members of the discussion forum were and perhaps was one of the best information for loaches anywhere online in one place.

I am happy to report that today the same holds true. As I glance through the posts I am proud to see the tradition of a wealth of knowledge being shared by fellow loach lovers in aiding keepers of loaches being passed on.

May loaches online remain the best source of loach information on the entire internet!

Best,

Mike Ophir

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:53 pm

I agree.! :D

shari

Post by shari » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Mike!

I hadn't realized just how 'old' a timer you are :lol:

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:31 pm

haha oh yea...ive been here a while...
but honestly I think Martin and I are the oldest members here...even though im only 20...lol

Mike

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:33 pm

*cough* :wink:

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:27 pm

Mike Ophir wrote:haha oh yea...ive been here a while...
but honestly I think Martin and I are the oldest members here...even though im only 20...lol

Mike
Mike, you Joe Loach and JD were here before me. It was you three's enthusiasm that opened my eyes to Loaches. Man, look what you started! :wink:

I have a feeling that you might be the "longest served". You used to be knee-high to a striata, but I know you've grown in more ways than up since then.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:50 pm

hahahaha nicely put Martin! I see your sense of humor is still with you which is good to hear!
Thanks for the comments. Are Joe Loach and JD still around nowadays? I havent heard from them in a while...

Mike

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:24 am

Oh absolutely Mike. JL was going nuts with the new capabilities of this software. JD has been posting awesome pics as well.

Me funny? Nah...different guy :wink:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:19 am

Very well said, Mike.
I am very happy that there are still several people active on this site who were here when I first logged on, looking for info on hillstream loaches back in 1999. Well, five tanks and many hillstreams, botia and schisturas later, the quality of the info and people has remained very high.
And of course, Martin is still cracking us up... ;)

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm

Of course! Hey Jim, glad to see you are still around!! Good to hear some of the "oldies" are popping up once in a while.

Mike

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey, who are you calling an "oldie" ? :wink:

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:*cough* :wink:
LOL!!! :lol:
drain your pool!

JD

Post by JD » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:08 pm

I remember when .... we had to mail our posts to Jeff and ..... OK, yeah I think I logged in here around 96-97 also:)

As I recall, JL and I were talking loach and watching this board. But there was very little activity back then. I have since had a hard drive crash (2001)and lost everything. There were a few things I would have went back into email logs, but I can't.

Man, what was that other board, Tom Griffin or something? I was there a lot. JAWS was the other one back then. We had more activity over there and I wold watch here for some activity. YOu are right Mike, it has beed a long while.

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Oh yea..JAWS how can we forget? What has happened to it? Is it still in existence? The only boards I constantly keep an eye on now are Loaches Online and Petfrd.com.

I remember we got excited when there were maybe 2 posts a week. Now there are taht many at least every hour.

Oh and JD, remember the time when virtually the whole board got into that sidthimunki vs nigrolineata debate when large "sids" became available in the summer i think of 99?

Good times.

Mike

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:41 am

Okay showoffs... What was the timeline? How early did the forum start - even the last incarnation that so many of us were drawn to? What year did it all go down?
And most interesting of all, if Ophir is in his 20s now, he must have been pretty young....

Loachily,
MM.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.