Best lighting for clown loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Larry3636

Best lighting for clown loaches?

Post by Larry3636 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:46 pm

What floresent bulbs best show off the colors of clown loaches?
(I have no plants in the tank - or other fish)

clint

Post by clint » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:53 pm

6700k rendering is as close to natural sunlight as a bulb can get, some say 10,000k is a bit brighter. Give one of those a try i find the 6700 k shows off my rainbows and loaches quite nicely.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

My loaches don't like to come out with the lights on. I see them best at night. :)

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 am

Keep in mind that whatever you use, the best lighting for loaches is low lighting. With low lighting and lots of shaded areas they will be out and about a lot more.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 am

Keith Wolcott wrote:Keep in mind that whatever you use, the best lighting for loaches is low lighting. With low lighting and lots of shaded areas they will be out and about a lot more.

I have read this many times, yet my loaches come out with even the brightest lights on, as i have a planted tank, mostly crypts, anubias. I have a 130 watt CF and an additional 64 watts of fluorescent which is the only light i have on right now due to the new clowns shyness towards light. I have 5 zebras, 7 yoyos, and 5 clowns, not to mention numerous kuhlis, both pangio and oblongas, who also are out and about with the lights on. My guys are out all day long with the exception of 1 recent clown addition. Who does come out when its feeding time, especially when i feed shrimp :wink: . I'm hoping in time he to will come out a bit more.

This tank a 90g, was setup as a planted tank to begin with, and loaches, rainbows and my rainbow shark were added as soon as the tank cycled. It could be i just lucked out or a matter of what the fish were accustomed to. My newest clown was a surrender so i have no idea why he was surrendered nor what conditions he came from, such as lighting levels or tank size.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

How old are your loaches Clint? Just curious since my experience is that young loaches (the first 2 or 3 years) are almost always out, but as they get older they may become more reclusive.

Your heavily planted tank is certainly a very good thing.

clint

Post by clint » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:22 pm

They are young as the tank is 1.5 years old so the loaches are maybe 2 yrs old or so. The kuhlis hide and then forage as kuhlis do, the pangios hang out under stones or in the biggest crypt. The oblongas stay out in the open along the right side of the tank in the picture. I hope as they age they remain free spirited as they are now. I've tried to give the loaches as many hiding spots as i could which there are plenty of. I figured they would remain out more if they felt secure with refuge nearby. When they see me they know it feeding time and are right up against the glass. They receive the typical dried food staple, along with cucumber or zucchini and shrimp almost daily. My guys seem unaffected by the lighting, except that new clown loach i got. Who does sneak out for the shrimp which it seems he can't resist.

This is the tank just after the cycle.

Right side of tank, the stone is all free standing, so there is a 2" space behind all of it for the fish to swim around.

Here it is about 6 months ago. The crypts are a bit bigger now and have taken over the bottom of the tank, which the kuhlis love.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

The best solution I found for my 8 ft river tank is indirect lighting from a 12 foot rope light. It uses just 30 watts of power and costs about $10 at Home Depot, so it's been very easy on my budget also. I have the rope light attached to wood braces that are laying on top of the tank just above the water line.