Histrionica compatibility?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fain

Histrionica compatibility?

Post by fain » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:49 am

Hurray for first posts! :D

I recently found some young Histrionica at my lfs and was hoping to add them to my tank with my Zebra Danios. My only concern is that my fiance wants me to get a Dwarf Gourami, and the person helping us at the store claimed that the Histrionica might attack slower moving fish like the Gourami. Everything I have read however, suggests that the Histrionica are too mellow to attack other fish.

My question is this;
Are Histrionica compatible with Dwarf Gourami?

Also, what would you suggest is the minimum tank size for 4 Histrionica?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:53 am

They'd be fine. Histies are the most placid of the botiine loaches that I've seen. Honestly, the dwarf gourami are going to be more of a problem to the loaches if you get a male in breeding season. I'd personally recommend against that particular species of gourami. I know they're nice and colourful but the males are a nightmare.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

fain

Post by fain » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 am

Got it. I'll see if I can sway him to either another fish, or a female. Thanks for the help! :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I have a histrionica that lives with yoyos and other loaches. It is a lovely fish. I wish I could get more.

I like gouramis, but I do not trust them.

Gary Mck

Daw

Post by Gary Mck » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Dwarf Gourami are beautiful but our male was a royal pain. Basically attacked all other fish in the tank constantly, eventually got cotton mouth and died, probably got it from biting some other fish. I have honey gouramis (2 females) and a peral gourami with my kubs and clowns. Neither are a problem. In fact the pearl gourami is even scared of neon tetras, which just leaves me embarassed when people are over observing our aquario ;-)