New peacock eel

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pywakyt

New peacock eel

Post by Pywakyt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:37 am

So I "rescued" a dying Common Name Striped Peacock Eel Scientific Name Macrognathus siamensis from my lfs. Its pretty small maybe 2-3 inches long and looks very lethargic. When I asked what to feed it, as I'm sure thats whats wrong with it, I was told "I dunno we just throw flakes in there and hope for the best". As soon as I got it home I feed it some frozen glass worms aka mosquito larva and all my other fish attacked the food so not sure if the eel got any. Even my morning wake up call the clown loaches came out at night for this feast lol. Anyway I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions that doesn't envolve cutting up earth worms, eww.
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:43 am

Frozen Bloodworm :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 pm

I second that. My peacocks and my yellow tailed spiney eel love blood worms. They snarf them down. To help my eels get their share of food, I throw in a cube of blood worms for the general public, and by the time the eels come out for dinner, I take another cube and take it apart and scatter it in the java moss. The eels are able to snake it out of the grass, where the other fish have a much more difficult time accessing it there.

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. The eel is doing great now since I got him blood worms and brine shrimp!!! I see him all over the tank now!

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi Pywakyt, I know you don't fancy doing chopped Earthworms but as a food source for spineys they take some beating , after a couple of good feeds your Eels will blossom :) .

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 am

LOL I know it sounds crazy but every rainy season, as much as they are in southern California, I spend a bit of time saving earthworms from drowning and or drying out on the sidewalk. So therefor I can't bring myself to turn around and chop them up. I love all Gods creatures....well I try but fleas and flies I have a hard time with lol.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 am

I think I have found my soulmate in you. :) I can't kill earthworms either, and save them from the rains and drying out. Never thought anyone did that besides me. I have a hard time feeding live brine shrimp to my fish. I won't even discuss live fish and shrimp for dinner. My bearded dragon is supposed to be mostly a vegatarian and no one told him. Luckily he likes freeze dried crickets and mealworms.

My eels love frozen blood worms, thank goodness and cocktail shrimp and my tiretrack loves shrimp pellets and krill. I saw my peacock sucking down spirulina brine shrimp too. I wish they sold frozen earthworms; I would give it a try. I want my fish healthy, but I know there's no way I will be killing the earthworms. I was hoping the eels would like the leeches that I find in my tank, but they weren't interested. Luckily the leeches don't bother the fish or me.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I won't cut up worms but I can feed live :wink: I culture white worms & red wigglers. I just rinse off the dirt & throw them in, baby wigglers are fairly small, white worms are bite size for most fish too.

I also bought some freeze dried earthworms but my fish aren't crazy about them too tough I think & FD blackworms but they float.