BEST possible companion for Botia modesta.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

2rivers

BEST possible companion for Botia modesta.

Post by 2rivers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am

Lupin says Skunks, is there a less aggressive option or maybe a non-loach cat that would fit well. What do you pros keep modesta with? (40 gal. breeder)

2rivers

modesta was given to me with a 40gal.

Post by 2rivers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 am

the previous owner thought he had a Red-tailed shark,but Ive kept them before. This is my first Loach and Im hooked. I feel bad that modesta has been deprived of a school of his own kind. Its about 6" and very territorial of his stump. I need a better external filter and more wood retreats, then maybe I can save up for as many modesta as I can afford or maybe some Skunks. Im new to computers. I live in NH.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:15 pm

in 40 gallons you're space is already pretty small for modesta.
Otherwise, I'd suggest good old fashioned clown loaches. They can hold their own and/or are indifferent to the Mod-squad's lunacy, and are big and school-y.
First things first, get three more of the smallest mods you can find then start saving for 80-100gallon system and a heap of plants. Check the want-ads for a second-hander if cost is an issue.

Even large, heavy-duty catfish (Synodontis) can get traumatized as they are grouchy and territorial, but aren't as maneuverable as a loach. Go for things that are entirely non-confrontational.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

2rivers

space=biggest issue

Post by 2rivers » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 pm

I can handle a few more mods, but I rent & the landlord pays the water bill. Hes already suspisious and I have a few hidden 10 gals. If I only had a basement, people are always getting rid of large tanks cheap cuz of the space issue. I have coarser gravel than I should and the water current should be swifter. Im workin on it. I have all the classic low-light plants,but need more driftwood. Thanks for the advice it helps me decide what step is next.

50 eggs! That-a-boy Luke. GO!

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Best companions for a Grrr loach is another one. I do have a big modesta among 30 Clown loaches and other fishes. Fortunatelly, mine is calmer than most.
I would advise you to keep it with other modesta, skunk or tiger loaches (helodes, himenophysa, etc).
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:13 pm

I think the idea that Modesta's are aggressive is a misconception , if left alone they aren't bad , the problem is that if they are harassed they will defend themselves , the fact that they are powerful possibly makes them a bit unsuited to tanks were they might be tormented :?:

Gary Mck

Water usuage

Post by Gary Mck » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Unless you live in a place with extremely high water rates I can't see how having a 100g tank would make any difference to water usuage. Even if you were to do 2 x 20% weekly water changes that is only 40g of water.

The average american uses on average 100g per day, hence it really is neglible.

Space of course is an issue.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:43 pm

I am skunks and tigers and both have not lived up to their repuations. I have them both in mixed communities with no problesm. But I know these guys can be really aggressive.