Loach ID?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:47 pm

I am rather partial to my water puppies (dojos) too. :) We may be soulmates yet. And I also like my Tigers, Skunks, Histrionicas and Striatas.

And I also apologize for getting off topic. Back to the Guessing Game on that super cool loach.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:08 am

The mouth shape reminds me of L. elongata...

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:19 am

starsplitter7 wrote:There is also such variation by location, and there's no location information, no size information, no behavioural information, . . . makes it pretty difficult to ID an obscure species.
These are from China, in the Yangtze river. Right around 4" and these are still juvie colors.
plaalye wrote: If you already know what it is why are you asking? Playing childish games?? Ok, you're smarter than me, happy?
I am seeing if anybody could ID, not trying to start a fight lol. I just figured that someone would have gotten it sooner as it is the queen of all loaches :roll:

Matt wrote:The mouth shape reminds me of L. elongata...
:lol:

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 am

Matt wrote:The mouth shape reminds me of L. elongata...
:lol:
Why is that amusing, exactly?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:13 am

Why not revive the thread on fish species ID or start a new one? It was a lot of fun, and when people didn't get the answer immediately, then people provided hints like the location, size, . . . it keeps everyone's skills sharp and is educational for all us newbies.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 am

Well, here are some pics of elongata and pellegrini from the Mr. Tree pics I mentioned (thanks odyssey for the link :D ). For some reason I can't load the images, but here are the links. You can access other pics of leptobotia by advancing the pics.
I tend to think it looks more like pellegrini, but your hints sound like its elongata.
I think everyone has given their guesses so why not enlighten us?
That's what we are here for...learning all we can about loaches. If we don't know it, we sure want to know. :D
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... ongata.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... ni_juv.jpg

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:25 pm

hey loaches4life
I LOVE clowns and the other common loaches. After all, that is all we get here in the "country" ( so no apologies there!}
besides, uncommon does not necessarily mean better!

I also love learning about these other, more obscure loaches. who knows, maybe they will become more readily availabie in my area!
Do you have any more info on them , like exactly what they ARE?
Sometimes strange things pop up at the LFS, and it would be great to know about them (eventual size, tank requirements, etc)
glenna

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:51 am

Jim Powers wrote:Well, here are some pics of elongata and pellegrini from the Mr. Tree pics I mentioned (thanks odyssey for the link :D ). For some reason I can't load the images, but here are the links. You can access other pics of leptobotia by advancing the pics.
I tend to think it looks more like pellegrini, but your hints sound like its elongata.
I think everyone has given their guesses so why not enlighten us?
That's what we are here for...learning all we can about loaches. If we don't know it, we sure want to know. :D
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... ongata.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/ ... ni_juv.jpg

Nice pics there Jim, thanks for posting those. It is in fact Elongata, I got them from a collector that personally went to China and got them. They are Captive Breed! Hopefully you will start seeing more of these in the hobby. This is only the second batch to hit the USA in the last ten years from what I have been told. They are still Juvies and im learning from them everyday. Right now they are in there own tank until they can go into my Loach community tank that I have, with atleast 10 diffrent species of loaches.

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:57 am

glenna wrote:hey loaches4life
I LOVE clowns and the other common loaches. After all, that is all we get here in the "country" ( so no apologies there!}
besides, uncommon does not necessarily mean better!

I also love learning about these other, more obscure loaches. who knows, maybe they will become more readily availabie in my area!
Do you have any more info on them , like exactly what they ARE?
Sometimes strange things pop up at the LFS, and it would be great to know about them (eventual size, tank requirements, etc)
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/le ... a-elongata
This is about all i know, there really isnt alot of these in the home aquarium. I guess the growth rate is alot better than other species of loaches. Right now they will only eat worms, trying to get them on massivore and granulets for easier feedings. Temp is at the 80degree F mark. They do not seem like a same species loach, meaning that they dont prefer to be into packs. Right now the loaches split the tank and they both sit on there own sides. They also are hiding alot, could be because they are new to the tank. I am working on getting these guys big so i can see some adult golds and red onto them.

Thanks for the comments guys

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 am

Heres a video that i found with some pics for anyone thats intrested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwe9__oo-dE

Im hoping that mine will reach this size in the first year, year and a half.

Hokum

Post by Hokum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:13 am

Thats a nice sizeable fish, too big for my tanks though.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 am

That's fantastic!! You are very fortunate to be able to find and keep these beauties!! From what I have read, these fish are becoming very rare in their native range, so being able to get them to breed in captivity is a big step!!
If you can find it, there is an article by Wesley Wong and Stan Sung about this fish in the May 2010 Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine.
Thanks for sharing the pics and keep us posted.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:10 am

Wow! That's gorgeous.

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:36 am

That is pretty cool that you can find loaches like that. Where I live, you can find clowns loaches, zebra loaches, kuhlis, yoyo's, and some other types if you are lucky.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:15 pm