7yr Loach Couple Finally Seperated

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

7yr Loach Couple Finally Seperated

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Almost 8 years ago I bought 2 tiny Dojo loaches, one male and one female: Flotsam and Jetsom.

They have been through a lot together, including 3 fishtank moves, one house move, an outbreak of fish influenza, ich and outlived every fish I have ever owned. Being loaches they always cuddled and slept together, entangled under their rock and swam their little dances when it rained.

5 Days ago, Jetsom escaped out the back of the tank and fatally injured himself on the wires out back :cry:

Everyday afterwards, Flotsam has been fully buried under the gravel apart from feeding time. I have bought another loach, not to replace Jetsam but as company because I know they are social fish.

Is there anything I can do at all? I know it's because she misses him.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 pm

If you have a big enough tank, I would get at least two new ones. I have 6. They are very happy together.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:44 am

Unfortunately I don't have a big enough tank :? I only have enough space for 2 maybe 3 at a push. I only have an 11G tank so I shouldn't really own them at all.

Its just because I bought them when I didn't know what I was doing. I read that they really need a 20G tank later on. I was thinking maybe a smaller loach species would be ok like Kuhli's or something?
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 am

I think the 11 gallon would be great for Kuhlies, and I would move the Dojos to a 55 minimum. :)

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:14 pm

If you are like me, you are looking at the bathroom counter about now: can that hold a 55G?
I know that is crazy, but that lonely story of the widowed dojo makes me sad!!!
just to make you feel feel better. I have one dojo in the Qtank with the 10 kuhlis. At first I thought they would ignore each other. However, the dojo has come out and played with the kuhlis, lets them lay all over him/her.
It is not the same as his own kind, but I think he finds these other very different loaches comforting.
glenna

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I think of same species as family, different species as friends. Loaches need both, but friends work in a pinch. :) Mine also interact by multi species. I have a long Kuhlie right now because I can't find other loaches. I am working on it though. Right now the Kuhlie lives with a bunch of Cories that he has adopted as his extended family for now.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 am

I was hoping getting some kulhi's would cheer her up :)
I'll buy some after work today and cross my fingers. I can't really get a 55G cos my landlady would go SPARE for one and by bedside table couldn't hack it :lol:

Maybe I should sell her :cry:
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:21 am

my loach not my landlady
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 am

If she has been happy with you for 7 years, I would get her a friend.

daoliaggt

uggs boots uggs usa That's very good

Post by daoliaggt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 am

That's very good advice if you need help,uggs boots uggs usa, please contact meThe more interesting topics related articles:

uggs fake uggs scuff slippers ugg classic boot replica uggs fuschia uggs ugg coquette uggs boots uggs usa ugg boot sale cheap uggs

Donna

Post by Donna » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Wouldn't it solve several problems to sell your landlady? I mean, then there'd be no problem affording or being allowed to keep a 55 gal. You might have enough left over to buy several dojos :)

Seriously, I admit I'm biased, but it sounds like kuhlis are the answer. They're peaceful and gregarious, plus they're cute and highly entertaining.
Carpe Didelphis!