Shrimp safe loach is there one?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

RudeDogg1

Shrimp safe loach is there one?

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:52 am

Hi, im in the process of setting up a planted discus tank. Im after a discus friendly loach that wont eat shrimp. I was going to get some yoyo's but i read on a discus forum that they will eat shrimp. Now im stuck apart from clowns (not realy suitible for discus) unless you lot think yoyos will be fine what other readily available loaches would you recomend?
Thanks
Rudi

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Yoyos are fine at the high temperatures that Discus need, but are not a 'shrimp safe' Loach.

Any fish with a big enough mouth may eat shrimp.

Usually shrimp are kept with small fish like the smaller Tetras, Rasboras and similar fish. Not with any large fish.

In a densely planted tank there will be hiding places for the shrimp, but Loaches are designed to search out shrimp, snails and similar critters.

Maybe some of the Hillstream Loaches might be shrimp-safe. Their main diet is the algae and microscopic life living in the algae. They are mostly cool water, river tank fish, totally incompatible with Discus.

If this is not a planted tank, and you want a shrimp-like critter that might be safe from Yoyos look into Marbled Crayfish. They are great at nipping the plants, though, so they are not for a planted tank. They are not algae eaters (if that is why you want the shrimp)
Bichers (P. senegalensis) will attack and eat even a 2-3" Cray.
My Clown Loaches crowd around and catch flying bits of Cray, but I have not seen them initiate the attack.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:29 pm

I don't know much about discus other than they like warm water temps 30c +, Just out of interest why are clowns ruled out as in compatible with Discus? In Rio it is not uncommon to see them together.

I have clowns and Kubotais together with 6 glass shrimp, I have lost 2 shrimp in 3 months, but I don't know if they were eaten or died, then were eaten. There are lots of hiding places in my tank but I see the shrimp out and about alot.

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:52 pm

They were the in thing with discus but they dont realy recomend them anymore (personaly i like them) because they get large and are abit boisterous at night which discus dont like.

Ill prob not bother with shrimp then and get yoyos

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:44 pm

You could try Kubotais. They are slightly smaller than Yoyos, less boistous and in my opinion so much more colorful.

Here is one of my guys.

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:19 pm

cute are they easy to come by?

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I am not sure where you are from but yes they are easy enough to come by. I just love the golden color with the black. As they get older the black markings grow until it almost covers their whole body. I have friends with Yoyos and Kubotais are in my opinion just a more special fish. Very social fish, when in groups of 5 or more. I got my Kubs when they were 2 inches, now they are 3 1/2, they should get to about maybe 5 inches, but thats about it.

No matter which loach you get, be prepared for a battle with ICH, very very common in new fish. Stock up on rid ICH and use a Q tank with a UV filter if you have one.

My dream tank would be a big 250g with Discus on top and as many loach species that I could get for the bottom. I actually priced one the other day, expensive - Yikes! One day though!

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:40 pm

im in the uk dont think ive ever seen them loachs not to say a shop couldnt get them if i asked

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:46 am

yeah i just checked the suplyers site who i got my aquarium from and they do them. I take it they arnt shrimp safe either? not that it matters not the end of the world

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:47 am

oh and can they cope with discus temps such as 86?

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:49 am

They are a relatively new species to be kept in Aquariums and hence a lot of the data is still not written in stone. Loaches online suggests 24c to 28c.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-kubotai I live in Rio and my tank is 30c (86f) most of the year, even a little hotter in Summer, they don't seem to be affected by the extra 2c. Having said that there are
perhaps other more experienced fish keepers that may know better. Of the 8 I started with I lost one to ICH when I first got them and have only lost 1 more (digging accident ), no disease outbreaks and they look very very healthy. They never miss a meal and are always out playing.

The one tip that I have founs works very well to see more of them is to have lots of hiding places for them. it seems the more hiding places they have the more they feel secure enough to venture out a lot. Mine are out during the day.

I have kept them with shrimp with no problem for the last 6 months, have lost maybe 2 shrimp in that time but that would be a normal kind of loss rate. I started with 6 shrimp, now have 4. I am planning on upgrading my 65g soon and would definitely get more shrimp.

Just for the record my tank is 65g, has 6 clowns (3 inches) and 6 kuboatis (3inches), 12 neon tetras, 1 pearl gourami, 4 shrimp. After the initial setup issues all fish have been very healthy and very happy. Even the neon tetras do not get bothered by the loaches.

RudeDogg1

Post by RudeDogg1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:54 am

allways been a fan of loaches and be nice to have somewthing diffent from yoyos. Do you think 3 or 4 is a good number to have? Thanks for your help

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 am

General feeling is an absolute minimum of a group is 3. I personally think 5 is a better minimum. They are very social fish, always together, they lie on top of each other when sleeping. They dance around the tank in groups, hence the more the better. Kubotia are smaller than YoYo's hence if you were thinking your tank could take the bioload of say 4 yoyos, then it could easily take the bioload of 5 Kubotias.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:47 am

If you have a MaidenHead Aquatics near you, you can get a huge variety of loaches. Emma works for Maidenhead and posts pictures regularly of the loaches they get in. I have never seen such an amazing variety.

I would recommend Kuhlies and horseheads as possible compatibles for the shrimp. You could also try a larger shrimp like a bamboo shrimp. They need warm temps. It is very important to make sure they get enough to eat. They are about 2 inches, hefty shrimp, but harmless.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 am

If you wouldn't keep clowns with discus because they're too boisterous, then certainly don't get yoyos as they're even more so! All the botiine loaches are at least inquisitive so I don't know how well they'd go with discus. Any of the Pangio spp. would be a better choice, although I don't know if adult discus might view them as noodles...
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman