Dead loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Dead loach

Post by ahmandi2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 am

This morning I found one of our new golden dojo's dead. It was the smaller of the two we'd bought, and I have to say I wondered about his health. I also don't know if I EVER saw him eat. The others are fat and voracious...quite a few times this week, I THOUGHT this little guy was dead, only to have him burst into life when presented with the net.
Sad. Poor little guy. He was white as a sheet this morning, well, he was dead....
The only upside of this is that I didn't have to "put him down". He was already gone.
I pray that I don't lose the other two. They're starting to do their spawn dance. I couldn't bear to lose ANOTHER mate for our original gangster, the first loach we ever had....
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:53 am

There is a syndrom called Skinny that affects most captured fishes worldwide. Not really a disease but those fishes may stop eating (or eat but keeps thin). On those cases, Levamisol hidrocloride can be usefull.

Best wishes for other two.
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

ahmandi2

dead loach

Post by ahmandi2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi Marcos,
Yeah that kind of sounds like him. Skinny as heck. And no eating. =/
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 pm

KSinny is often related to internal parasites, and if the other two start to become skinny (even if they are eating), you may want to treat them. The product that Marcos recommended is the best, but source it now. It can be very difficult to source in the US. Also check out Marcos's laoch thread. It is absolutely amazing!