Video of Clown loaches in the wild

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Marcos Mataratzis

Video of Clown loaches in the wild

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi fellows,

Everybody here knows that Clown loaches comes mainly from Sumatra and Borneu, and that they are captured using bamboo sticks but... where are the photos or videos of them in the wild?
I do have the book "Loaches - Natural history and aquarium care" written by some of our friends of LOL but even there, there are no photos of them in the wild.

Does any of you know any link to photos or videos showing Clown loaches in the wild?
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 am

I think the water would be too dark and tannin stained to take any decent pictures underwater.

http://www.bollmoraakvarieklubb.org/art ... 0loach.htm

Dunga

Post by Dunga » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Nice Marcos !

I'm still looking for those pics and videos...

best

Dunga
10 Sidthimunkis, 6 yoyos, 7 clowns, 1 bicolor, 1 sterbai, 1 Angelfish, 15 zebra danios
! Remember that nothing can take the place of routine water changes to keep your water clean and your fish healthy !

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks Keith,

I, myself, translated this article to portuguese and it´s now posted in two brazilian fish forum under authorization of the author. Problem still remains. Not a single shot of Clown loaches in the wild on that article. The author shows traps only, but no fish... :(
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Rodrigo Carvalho

Post by Rodrigo Carvalho » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm yet to find a video footage showing alive clown loaches in their habitats.

Maybe BBC should make a documentary about Indonesian Rivers just like they made for Amazon River called Amazon Abyss...
Rodrigo Carvalho

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Marcos Mataratzis wrote:Thanks Keith,

......Problem still remains. Not a single shot of Clown loaches in the wild on that article. The author shows traps only, but no fish... :(
I have another answer. In aquariums, where clown loaches are relatively safe from harm, are usually hiding in caves or under rocks. In the wild, they probably stay hidden even more. What are they hiding from is my question? Baby crocodiles? Turtles? Snakes? Predatory birds? Other fish? It's probably even dangerous in that habitat for humans.

Dunga

Post by Dunga » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:04 am

10 Sidthimunkis, 6 yoyos, 7 clowns, 1 bicolor, 1 sterbai, 1 Angelfish, 15 zebra danios
! Remember that nothing can take the place of routine water changes to keep your water clean and your fish healthy !