Zebra Loach Experience Needed

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Zebra Loach Experience Needed

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am

My other half really wants to get a zebra loach to put in my tank because he thinks my 2 dojo loaches and 2 kuhli loaches are boring. I have read that most people keep them with other loaches rather than with their own kind because of aggresion. I'm very sceptical though. I don't want to get 1 and have it kill my loaches.

Tank is planted and has plenty of hidy-holes,
emmaculatly clean and well maintained
soft substrate
temp: 24 degrees
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5-10ppm

Does it depend on the individual zebra loach or are they all vicious?
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 am

Zebra loaches are not agressive, but as other loaches, they like to be in groups not fewer than 5 individuals.

I don´t like the kind of companions you want to mix because of size diference (Dojos can get really big compared to zebra) and water temperature needed.

Good luck!
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 pm

ah right!! thank you very much for your help :D
I wasn't too sure on getting one anyway
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:20 pm

By zebra, do you mean B. striata? THey are nice fish, but as Marcos says, they need to be in a group of 5 or more. And if I remember correctly, you have a really small tank, don't you?

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Yeah I do. thats why I was only gonna get one but if they need to be in groups of 5 then obv. I can't get them. Which is a shame because they do look really nice.

Oh and yeah I was talking about the B.stratia... if thats how its spelt.
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Flotsam&1Jetsom wrote:I was talking about the B.stratia... if thats how its spelt.
Actually, the correct term is Botia striata. :wink:
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

zenins

Re: Zebra Loach Experience Needed

Post by zenins » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Flotsam&1Jetsom wrote:My other half really wants to get a zebra loach to put in my tank because he thinks my 2 dojo loaches and 2 kuhli loaches are boring. I have read that most people keep them with other loaches rather than with their own kind because of aggresion. I'm very sceptical though. I don't want to get 1 and have it kill my loaches.

Does it depend on the individual zebra loach or are they all vicious?
Perhaps the aggressive loach mentioned is a tiger loach, not a striata or zebra loach ?
Although it is recommended to keep 5, I have been successful keeping a group of 3 striata loaches.
Lots of hiding places are needed for them to feel comfortable, you will actually see them out more if they know they can quickly dart to a hiding spot if needed :wink:

As mentioned in an earlier reply, dojo loaches like their water to be cooler than that preferred by striata loaches, so maybe they would not be suitable companions in the same tank ...

If you want active loaches that can take care of themselves, try a group of 3 yoyo loaches, they are fun to watch :D
Zenin

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Deciding on which fish depends on the size of the tank, and the temperature (among other things)

Have a look through the species index here, and plan accordingly.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index

Dojo Loaches are cool water fish, thriving in tanks that are about room temperature, or into the mid 70s, but really not much warmer. cooler is fine, and a mild temperature pond is OK. They might reach a foot long. They (like most Loaches) are social. A group of half a dozen would be best in a tank at least 4' long, and bigger would be better. They can be very active at times.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

Kuhlie Loaches are warm water fish. Although they are long, they are quite thin, so are easier on the bioload than other fish the same length. They thrive in tanks that are kept in the upper 70s. They also are very social. If you just keep a few you might never see them. If you keep half a dozen or more they will be out playing a lot more.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-kuhlii

Zebra Loaches are peaceful Loaches, social, and do not grow too big for a moderate sized tank. Half a dozen would be OK in a 3' tank. They are fine at temperatures that suit most tropical fish.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

millsn

Post by millsn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:11 am

I've only three zebras. They seem to strike up a nice relationship with my clowns, all get on well. The zebras like the flow and play in it