Unhappy Clown loach !!!!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fishmad

Unhappy Clown loach !!!!

Post by fishmad » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi all
This is my first post on a great forum, We have seven clown loach and have just had to change our complete tank due to a leak in the seal. It was 180 litre tank and have now droped slightly to a 160 tank.
My problem is the tank has been up and running now for nearly 8 weeks we tried to keep the new tank as original inside as possible, We are currently treating the tank for white spot which one of the little fellows caught. They are hiding away and will only appear when they are fed or when the light gos out, And will no longer take food from the top of the tank. We have changed the tube felt it was to bright but still they hide.
Could anyone help us make our loach happy again.
Thanks for reading

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm

I'd keep the bright lighting off until the ich has been completely eradicated.

Clown Loaches spend most of their time resting in dark places. They love to nestle in dark tight fitting caves. This is completely normal and what happy loaches do. Ich infected clowns will need to rest even more. The ich gets in their gills and makes it hard for them to get oxygen. Increasing the surface agitation will help, you can do this by adding airstones and dropping the water level.

Hopefully the ich medication you are using will work. Good luck.

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks for your reply chefkeith, I have one more treatment tomorrow and fingers crossed they should be clear. These are such comical fish would hate to lose any now had 4 of them for 5 years now part of the family. thanks again for your reply much appreciated.

sorce

Post by sorce » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Sorry about the leak and ich.

I know what you mean, I moved my fellers' cave once and they went to where the hole used to be looking for the entrance.

It's nice of you to remake their digs the same.

Good luck!!!
Genetically engineered "glowing fish" disgust me.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:54 pm

you should continue treating the water with the ich medication for atleast one week after you see the last ich spot. Stopping the treatment too early most often results in a relapse.

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:27 am

sorce wrote:Sorry about the leak and ich.

I know what you mean, I moved my fellers' cave once and they went to where the hole used to be looking for the entrance.

It's nice of you to remake their digs the same.

Good luck!!!
Thanks sorce, When we had to change tanks i think my wife was more stressed than the clowns she even has names for them bless her. These fish DO not like change thats for sure.

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:34 am

chefkeith wrote:you should continue treating the water with the ich medication for atleast one week after you see the last ich spot. Stopping the treatment too early most often results in a relapse.
chefkeith its there last treatment today but i have noticed one small one still have some spots. Been using Waterlife Protozin day 1 2 3 & 6 with carbon matter removed do you think i should continue this treatment any further. have raised the tempreture to 79 slowly. Really dont like using meds, How long after treatment can i do water change and replace carbon. Thanks all for your help.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:43 am

You must continue treating.
Medicines only kill Ich when it is in its free swimming stage.
Any spots (even 'just one') that are on the fish will fall off and reproduce, releasing hundreds of baby Ich organisms to re-infest the fish.

The medicine MUST be in the tank, and in sufficient concentration to kill the Ich babies when they hatch. This happens a day or so after the spot falls off the fish. They remain vulnerable for about 1 day.

Here is what I would do:
Thorough gravel vac, especially lift the caves, driftwood, rocks and any other decoration. Vacuum REALLY WELL. Ich has fallen off the fish all along, and will be especially numerous where the fish spend the most time.
As you are refilling, re-dose the medicine so it is at full strength.
Keep on dosing until you no longer see any spots, and for several days to a week after.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 am

Diana wrote:You must continue treating.
Medicines only kill Ich when it is in its free swimming stage.
Any spots (even 'just one') that are on the fish will fall off and reproduce, releasing hundreds of baby Ich organisms to re-infest the fish.

The medicine MUST be in the tank, and in sufficient concentration to kill the Ich babies when they hatch. This happens a day or so after the spot falls off the fish. They remain vulnerable for about 1 day.

Here is what I would do:
Thorough gravel vac, especially lift the caves, driftwood, rocks and any other decoration. Vacuum REALLY WELL. Ich has fallen off the fish all along, and will be especially numerous where the fish spend the most time.
As you are refilling, re-dose the medicine so it is at full strength.
Keep on dosing until you no longer see any spots, and for several days to a week after.
Many thanks for the reply diana thats a great help looks like wet hands tonight, Thankyou for taking the time to write a great reply. :mrgreen:

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I don't know how your tank is set up, but more water movement seems to make our loaches a lot more active.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 pm

Mine also, and water changes perk them up, too.
Get them over Ich, then maybe look into a power head to add some more water movement.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:23 am

Im running a tetratec 700 external filter the outlet is single and runs from the back to the middle of the tank, probally more movement at the top and middle than the bottom. will try it with the spray bar on to get more movement in the water, thanks for your help all appreciated. Its so frustrating they have been fine for 5 years and a lot of £s spent on them to not be able to see the little fellows, but all worth it when they are happy :D

scarletchopper

Post by scarletchopper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:04 pm

I think I've spoilt mine with places to hide - barely to be seen even at feeding time!

I have a 700l and lost quite a few fish about 9-10 months ago, thought I had lost most of my juvenille clowns.

Had only seen 6/7 in the tank and then one morning I came down at 4am when I was going for a flight and they were all out dancing! (about 14).

Little buggers!

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:29 am

scarletchopper wrote:I think I've spoilt mine with places to hide - barely to be seen even at feeding time!

I have a 700l and lost quite a few fish about 9-10 months ago, thought I had lost most of my juvenille clowns.

Had only seen 6/7 in the tank and then one morning I came down at 4am when I was going for a flight and they were all out dancing! (about 14).

Little buggers!
Thats great to hear i love the way they dance and the way they play dead when they are sleeping, Total caracters :lol:
ICH Took my clowns but wont take my memories

ahmandi2

Echo

Post by ahmandi2 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:54 am

I will echo the experienced members' sentiments.
Do not stop treating, keep going at least a WEEK after you see the spots are gone. With an outbreak that bad, it would probably be in your best interest to keep going the week after it's all gone. It sounds like you've got a very hardy ich; don't let it creep back onto your fish!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"