Please HELP ich getting worse what am i doing wrong ?????

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fishmad

Please HELP ich getting worse what am i doing wrong ?????

Post by fishmad » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:00 pm

My Set Up

Ive done a search and read lots of write ups on this forum.

160 litre tank = W 30" D 15" H 20"
Tetratec 700 external filter with carbon matter removed
Good circulation, Lots of bubbles and good surface water flow, and temprature raised to 80/82. Small gravel bottom.

Over a week ago i discovered my clown loach had ich so i have been treating them daily with (Waterlife) Protozin, Im putting 10ml in daily vacuming the bottom well every other day and doing water changes every other day replacing the meds in the fresh water. Ive now been treating for over a week and sitting here tonight have noticed that other fish now have ich too.
Am i doing something wrong as im at the point of throwing in the towel, ive had my clowns for 5 years and they have caught ich in the past but this is the worst its ever been and the longest, Really dont want to lose these fellows, everyone loves watching them when they visit. :cry:

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:20 am

Don't give up on them yet. :cry:

There are a few tough super strains of ich. Some can stay in the white spot stage for several weeks, in which case you'll have to keep medicating for one week after all the spots are gone. The complete treatment time can easily last a month, possibly two months if there is a relapse. Best of luck to your loaches.

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:49 am

chefkeith wrote:Don't give up on them yet. :cry:

There are a few tough super strains of ich. Some can stay in the white spot stage for several weeks, in which case you'll have to keep medicating for one week after all the spots are gone. The complete treatment time can easily last a month, possibly two months if there is a relapse. Best of luck to your loaches.
Thanks chefkeith didnt realise it could last that long will stick with it, My fellows are worth it :D

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:38 am

Temperature raised to 82? Seems a little cool for a fish from Borneo/Sumatra. Slowly (over days/weeks) increase temp to >88 (31C). Clowns are fine with that, but the parasite is not. The increased temp will increase the cycling of the parasite bringing it to the chemical-susceptible stage faster, and can (will) also kill the parasite outright.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:27 pm

hang in there, Ich is a long slow, yucky ride.
I think RELENTLESS is a better word. You have to be MORE relentless.
Keep treating and vacuuming. I agree with a higher temp.
DON"T stop just because you do not see anymore cysts!!!

I recently treated some resistant ich with quinine, which worked. However, it was not a quick fix. Still had to do the daily water change, vacuuming and my tank was a WRECK at the end, but everybody lived except one striata (he was so cute :(

It is easy to get discouraged since you are working HARD and nothing good happens for a while
Don't give up!!
glenna

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:57 pm

SAD NEWS

Came home tonight from work had a look in the tank and to my horror
4 Clown loach died
1 Knife fish died
1 Cherry barb died

I am gutted had the clowns for over 5 years, A very sad day :(

PS Thankyou for the kind words Glenna

ahmandi2

Horrible losses

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I am so sorry for your losses!!! I understand the grief. And how amazing that you had them for SO long....
Please do not give up; it WILL get better, and lets all cross our *everything* in the hopes that this is the only loss, and from here on it will be more positive and healing.
Once again, I am so sorry. It is very disheartening. :cry:
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

fishmad

Re: Horrible losses

Post by fishmad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm

ahmandi2 wrote:I am so sorry for your losses!!! I understand the grief. And how amazing that you had them for SO long....
Please do not give up; it WILL get better, and lets all cross our *everything* in the hopes that this is the only loss, and from here on it will be more positive and healing.
Once again, I am so sorry. It is very disheartening. :cry:
Thakyou for your kind words, I have 3 loach left now but the biggest one is covered. There is 8 lemon tetra in there and the ich has not touched them. I have everything crossed for the remaining fish. We have a one eyed XL Gourami and he is thrieving in the tank, I really dont understand.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your losses. Good luck on the rest. Please don't give up.

cider

Post by cider » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 am

so sorry to hear of your losses , too . :cry:

You are on the best site to help you get through this horrible situation so hang in there and I wish u the best of luck with the others .
G
cider

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Unfortunatly on getting home tonight i have lost the last 3 clowns, 7 clowns in 2 days is beyond belief.
I would like to thank everyone who replied to my posts about my little fellows and gave me there knowledge of these wonderfull fish, I still have some tetra in the tank but they still have ich i hope they will pull through.
Unfortunatly i will not keep clowns anymore all though they gave me hours of entertainment and are such lovely fish i couldnt go through watching them slowly dieing from some thing i tried so hard to stop.

PS should i continue to meds every day or as someone suggested maybe change the meds to see if i can rid of this ich once and for all.

Again thankyou all

fishmad

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Sorry to hear the terrible news. I feel bad that I didn't help more. I should of suggested a more aggressive ich treatment, but I'm not even sure if that would of helped.

cider

Post by cider » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 am

:cry:

loosing them is gut wrenching , I know .... so sorry , G
cider

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Sorry for your loss. Been there, done that.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

fishmad

Post by fishmad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Thankyou all for your kind words, This is a great site and proud to be part of it :)
ICH Took my clowns but wont take my memories