Pictures! Baby Horsefaced Loach -- I need Help! :)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Pictures! Baby Horsefaced Loach -- I need Help! :)

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

I really need some help. Today I went to a fish wholeseller where they sell fish by appointment. I had asked for Horsefaces, but none arrived. I also wanted to pick up a quartet of Red Lizards (catfish), so I went for a visit. The woman working there was very excited, because in the Kuhlie batch, there was a tiny, wormy little fish -- turns out it is a horsefaced loach -- less than an inch long, almost clear with two black eyes. Spunky and very active. What can I do to increase his chances of living?

What do I feed him? I have powdered fry food and black worms. The worms seem too big, the powdered food too small. Should I try some hard boiled egg, crush fish food, froozen Brine shimp or frozen daphnia?

I thought to put him in my BN Nursery tank -- I have BN fry 1/2" to 1.5", cherry shrimp, 3 1" B. straita and 2 1.5" Yoyos and a 4" yellow tailed spiney eel (pretty much full grown). It has a sand and gravel bottom, the filter intakes are covered and it is planted. Would the fish be safe here? I am afraid that someone may eat it. I have a 1.5 gallon. Should I set it up with sand, planted with a small filter? Right now he's hanging out in a breeder basket, but I don't wantt o keep him there.

Any advice is grately appreciated. This guy has been traveling around the world for three days, and I don't want to lose him under my care.
Pictures to follow.

Thanks.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Does it look like this?
This is a kottelatlimia hypporhincos, just a little more than an inch, that i recently bought. they've been showing up quite a bit lately.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm

I will post some pictures when I am not so tired. It is actually so small, I do not know what it is. Looks like a worm with two black eyes and the general shape of a horseface. It could certainly be the fish you posted. I think it is pretty cute. What are you feeding yours?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 am

I would remove the 4" eel from the nursery tank. Any fish may eat another fish if the smaller is about 1/4 the size of the larger, and predators may eat food that is as much as half their size.
Other than that, several fish roughly an inch or so in length are generally safe with each other, and will all eat food that is about the same size.

Try the frozen daphnia, shrimp and other things. I have even seen baby (or at least small) frozen bloodworms.

Try the other baby foods you listed, too. Keep rotating the foods until you see what all those baby fish like.

Feed often, and clean often. Baby fish need frequent meals, and this can foul the water pretty fast. Baby fish are more sensitive to toxins, including nitrate, than adult fish. I would keep the nitrates well under 10 ppm.

Live plants are very good for baby fish. Many microorganisms live among the leaves so the baby fish can snack all the time. Also, the plants will help with water quality.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 am

These like bloodworms, of course. For small fish i shave the frozen chunk with a sharp knife to make tiny pieces, easier for them to eat. Competition can be tough, if it's not too shy try a turkey baster or tube.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Here's a picture of my little loach. He jumped the breeder tank tonight, so I don't expect to see him again until he's 4". He's a seriously spunky little guy for such a tiny fish.

This is my tiny eel. Note the size in comparison to the BN fry.

I have the eel in here, because it is my Quarantine tank. I don't want to expose my main tank to this new fish. That's why the baby B. striatas and the Yoyo loaches are in there too. They are very young and new.

Here's a pictures of 3 BN and 1 B. striata.
I hope the baby loach is too big for the eel's mouth. they are waiting for dinner.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 am

Hi Tanja, from the top it looks like more a Lepidocephalichthys or Kottelatlimia than a horceface to me.

The caudale looks a bit forked, isn't it? If it so, we could limit the possibilities. Only a few loaches of this genera (L. and K.) have forked tailfins. I think Kottelatlimia has never forked tails, but a few Lepidocephalichthys.

A pic from side would be good.

Cheers, Thomas

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Unfortunately, he jumped the hatcher and is in a main tank, so I won't see him for a while (or be able to take pictures -- I took many pictures, that was the only one that turned out). I agree from the picture it looks like he has a forked tail. I didn't notice that by looking at him.

Fiona01

Re: Pictures! Baby Horsefaced Loach -- I need Help! :)

Post by Fiona01 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:46 am

Babies are human beings most adorable and innocent in the whole universe. Were created with care and love by two people who share common feelings. These little love is the love of God, angelicness, and happiness. Babies are fragile and must be properly accredited, they do not know how to pronounce the words in the first place. Patience is indeed the most important feature that mothers and caregivers should take care of them.

Baby

palaeodave

Re: Pictures! Baby Horsefaced Loach -- I need Help! :)

Post by palaeodave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:48 am

I've never seen spam claiming knowledge of the whole universe before.

I didn't realise that any spiny eels stayed that small... *starts to plan another tank*
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman