to catch a khuli

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

to catch a khuli

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Ok so after some great advice from the experts on LoL, I realized that I have to move my kuhlis.
Where to move them is NOT a problem.
The problem is...catching them!
They're so tiny, and it's a 55 gallon tank.....planted (somewhat). Tearing the plants up is NOT an issue: fish happiness is more important.
I've spent a few hours trying to get them already...and no catch :(. I don't want to stress them out by constantly removing their "safe houses. At what point would you say to yourself "well, I guess they are going to stay in this tank?" I know that constant stress will eventually hurt any fish, regardless of health. I don't want to go that far with my kuhlis....but...
The issue is temp. I have it at 75F. I've got cardinal tetras, praecox rainbows, a BN Pleco, and some danios. Oh, and two dojos.
I've now learned that the Karlis are a warmer water fish, and that my temp is too low for them...but if I can't catch em and relocate, what can I do??[/code]
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I have caught Kuhlies by slidding their cave over a net, putting the net gently into the substrate and lifting. Even in an open tank they are hard to find, because they move so fast.

Weltenbumler

Post by Weltenbumler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 am

Hello,

If I want to catch a kuhli loach, I put a small plastik container into the tank, which have 2-3 small holes, so the kuhlis can get into it.
Because the kuhlis a very curious fish, they will get int the box sooner or later and so you can catch then without a lot of stress.
Maybe you can put some small stones, leaves and a little bit food into the container too, so the kuhlis go into there easier.

greetings Thomas

ahmandi2

excellent advice

Post by ahmandi2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 am

I will try both; hopefully, I'll catch em eventually....thanks!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah, you're definitely going to need a kuhli 'trap.'

Something with food inside it with a little hole that only a kuhli can getinto. Those betta containers at Petsmart/Petco are perfect for this.

Careful though - make sure you get your kuhlis out of ther eonce they're in. I think the limited surface area of hte hole can suffocate them. Had one of my kuhlis die once, just seemed like he got paralyzed in there for some reason. :cry:

Dojosmama

Re: to catch a khuli

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:37 pm

75 degrees F is really too warm for Dojos. The research I have done states that while they'll live in water that warm, their lives will be shortened considerably in water that stays constantly at 70F or above. Dojos are coldwater fish. Ordinarily, they can live for several years. Temps that get that warm once in awhile probably won't hurt them, but having it above 70F all the time isn't good for them.

-- Dojosmama