AMAZING?????

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mydogsowner

AMAZING?????

Post by mydogsowner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Well, I have an amazing loach story, I think.

About 1 year ago, I bought a piece of driftwood that had a plant attached to it from my LFS. Little did I know I also had a hitchhiker too.

The loach I speak of has a greyish body with an orangey tail. Can someone tell me what his correct name, and common name is?

I saw this little guy in my 55 G tank a few times at feeding time, then he just disappeared. I figured he died, or the 3 Clown Loaches just killed him off?

So, about 1 month ago, the tank he was in sprang a leak and I had to move the occupants to my other tanks.

I also move the driftwood piece to another 55 G tank with the 3 clown loaches. Out of curiosity, I peeked in all the nooks and crannies of the driftwood to see if the little guy was indeed still hiding somewhere. After not finding him, I just reaffirmed that he must have passed away.

Well, I was wrong. I saw him again for the first time last night. I eyed some orangey movement from under the driftwood and did a head count of my Clown Loaches. I kept watching and then saw his greyish body again. AMAZING.

I can't believe he's still alive and that I haven't seen him in a year or so.

What can he be eating? I never see him come out for the pellets I drop? I never see him, period??????

Lisa

mydogsowner

Reeally looking for input......

Post by mydogsowner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I am really hoping someone can help me identify this rogue loach, and suggest how it has survived in my tank for a year?

Seriously, what has it been eating??????

mydogsowner

Modesto Loach

Post by mydogsowner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Ok, after much Googling I think I have identified him.

It says he should be kept with others of his kind. Do clown loaches count???? Are they good tank mates for him?

I have already placed a few phone calls to my LFS and no one sells Modesto Loaches.

stevenallenbarnard

Post by stevenallenbarnard » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm

modesta's can be kept with clowns. when calling the lfs, ask for redfin or blue botia instead of modesta, it might help you get further. all in all their temperment is a lot like clowns and it will eventually start hanging with them. just get rid of that driftwood, lol, cause it obviously has too many good hiding spots.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:06 am

Nice you got a great hitchhiker. I have fish I never see and they are fat and healthy when I tear up the tank to do a body check.

mydogsowner

Thanks for the replies

Post by mydogsowner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks for replying.

I will look now at the LFS for tankmates armed with other names.

I guess since my other loaches have always been visible {have had them for 10 years now}, I sort of expected the same behavior. They hide every now and then, but mostly they are out and about.

Of note; when I called the LFS to inquire about the fish that came with the driftwood, they kept tellling me it HAD to be a Red Finned Shark because they Never sold loaches like I was describing.

It is a a Modesta however; of that I am certain. I suspect he has been living in this driftwood for a very long time too. LOL

sorce

Post by sorce » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:36 am

that is absolutely excellent!!!!

SCORE !
Genetically engineered "glowing fish" disgust me.

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 pm

I bet he will be VERY distressed if you take his driftwood away (sounds like it has been a good home for him for a LONG, LONG time)!!!
Are you sure you NEED to see him so much? Maybe just knowing he is in there and healthy and a treat to see him when you do could be good enough!!
glenna

mydogsowner

Hmmmm

Post by mydogsowner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Wow. Why do I feel attacked in my two recent posts?

Here, I have said nothing about removing the driftwood, or needing to see him more?????

I only posted inquiring to how he has survived, and what he was. Then I have asked about suitable companions.

I suggest people actually read the entire discussions before they post replies.

stevenallenbarnard

Post by stevenallenbarnard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am

No one attacked you. All of your questions were answered in spades. We even threw in some extra advice for free. I don't know how many fish forums you belong to, but believe me when I tell you that the free advice is never ending. If you are happy with your tanks and your fish then keep things the way they are.

mydogsowner

Post by mydogsowner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48 am

I was referring to just one's person's reply here....and it wasn't yours. I really appreciated all the other responses. They were informative and helpful.

But, someone had to jump in with assumptions and rudeness.

I posted another topic about the same time and got the same assumptions and rudeness from a few responders there too. I posted this so maybe those individuals would actually think, and read, before they posted.

glenna

Post by glenna » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Hey, you have my apologies if I offended.
My comment about NOT removing his driftwood was not in response to anything YOU had mentioned, only that one of the other folks had said something about "better remove that driftwood, if you want to see that particular loach more often", or something to that effect.
Actually, sounds like you have been doing this a LOT longer than I have, and that your fish ( and that loach in particular) are doing just fine.
Sorry if I came off "telly" or like YOU ought to do something different in the care of your fish
glenna

mydogsowner

Post by mydogsowner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks for the apology and clarification Glenna.

I did a water change today and added a few more fake rocks/logs to the tank so as to give my secret loach more areas to hide and feel safe in. I guess there will eventually come a day when he outgrows his driftwood nook.

I still see his tail sticking out from time to time, so I know he's doing OK. I'm still astounded when I think of him, and what he must have endured to wind up in the midwest.

Seb1

Post by Seb1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 am

its always good to see that hitchhikers survive! you don't see that very often. only once you clean the tank do you notice them. my brother is a fanatic when it comes to fish, so i have watched him over the years. but now i am thinking of getting my own. so here i am informing myself. :)

mydogsowner

Post by mydogsowner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:55 pm

It can be an addictive, challenging, but very rewarding hobby.

The better educated you are, the better equipped you are for caring for your pets.

Also, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain properly. If you do buy one, I suggest getting the largest you can afford.

Good luck and best wishes,
Lisa