New tank - fish now in residence

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

Re: New tank planning

Post by millsn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

I've now got some major loachy dancing going on. They've found a favourite spot between a large rock and the glas on the far right hand side of the tank. They squirm around there in a tiny space, then head up and down repeatedly, playing in the local powerhead flow, squirm a bit more behind the rock then all barrel headlong for the other end of the tank where they repeat the exercise. Quite hilarious to spectate. I think my silver shark is confused by it all but he follows them generally too!

millsn

Re: New tank - fish now in residence

Post by millsn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zwy-VAMur8&t=50s

I've now added my rain function to the tank. This is a water change in process straight from the mains. You can see the 'rain' coming in at the top of the tank. You can also see the Aquaray 'storm effect' lighting (lightning) kicking in. See notes in the you tube video for where. Lighting is subdued when storm function is switched on which I assume is to mimic cloud cover

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:23 am

The fish look great in there! how'd you do the background? Is that the weir in the back left corner?

I'd say you have room in the tank yet for a never-ending quest for the perfect pieces of wood. :)

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Very nice set-up! :D If you're ever over Crowland way then you should pop in to the MA shop and have a chat. And I might even make you a cuppa. :P

millsn

Post by millsn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 pm

SgtMajWiggles, it's from an outfit in Poland and would have been £300 if it had fit right first time. It went back once and was then replaced. To their credit I didn't get charged for the returning postage or the replacement background but it did take some cutting and shutting to get to fit and nothing could proceed until that was siliconed in. Grr. I have two weir columns on each side. One wet, one dry. The system is filtered by two fluval fx5s and they draw from the LHS wet weir over the top of the tank and down the dry weir. The tank isn't actually drilled (which you might expect). The return water is fed in up the RHS dry weir column and out into the wet weir. You should be able to, make out the three in/outlets per side. Loads of room for large pieces of bogwood, I am on the lookout.

Graeme we may already bave spoken but I don't know how to recognise you. I'm often in and recently bought 5 small loaches from you and 4 silver sharks. They're in my old tank waiting to go in the new. I'll see if you're in next time I visit. thanks for the offer.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:29 pm

millsn wrote:Graeme we may already bave spoken but I don't know how to recognise you.
He's the one with the Geordie accent. :wink:

That's a lovely tank you have for your clowns, thanks for sharing the pics. 8)

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

millsn

Post by millsn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks all, it's the realisation of something I've been planning for just years now. Now I need a bigger powerhead and a third lamp to make the lighting more even. You can turn the lamps down in intensity so the extra tile wouldn't cause a problem. Now if I can just find the money..