Clown Loach Spot or not(w pics)??

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

djoneser

Clown Loach Spot or not(w pics)??

Post by djoneser » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:46 pm

I haven't posted much in a while, but have a question about one of my clowns. All of them are in great shape, moving well, nice and thick and active. I was cleaning the tank yesterday and wanted to get some pictures to see if anyone can tell me if they think that I have a medical issue or if this is just a coloration thing. Just one (maybe 2 now that I've looked thru all the pictures again) of my clowns have a "spot" on them, a small patch that is darkened, sometimes nearly black. I'm inserting a shot here of the fish in question, with the spot, I cut this out for better clarity.

Main image with the clown in view under the EBJD

Cutout of 'spot'

Couple of other shots I took trying to get a good picture of 'spot' and his spot.
Will have to set this up as my avatar I think..

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Color variations like that are common among Clown Loaches. Not a problem at all. Here is more info...
http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-l ... variations
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:52 pm

beautiful, beautiful loaches!
lovely pics, thanks!!!
glenna

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 am

Wow some pigs! What are you feeding them as a staple?

I have had several of my loaches develop spots as they got bigger. Its nothing to worry about

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:24 pm

You'll probably find that spot becomes more defined as the fish matures. It's very typical in a fish with the third stripe shaped as in this fish.

Fabulous fish, including the Dempseys.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

djoneser

Post by djoneser » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for the compliments all. I've had this group of 7 loaches for nearly 3 years now, and got most of them at good size to start (nothing under 3" iirc).

They are primarily fed hikari sinking cichlid pellets (medium reds, fit in their mouths just fine), with some allternation with hikari cichlid staple and hikari tropical sinking wafers. I do remember to buy them some veggies now and then, but mostly they eat the pellets.

They moved from a 75g glass tank to a 125g recently and love the extra running room. Water changes are 80%ish every other week. (also know this is not recommended for loaches in general, but have been on this schedule for 3 years now..)

I probably should not admit to this, but I will...
My loaches 'let' me pet them during water changes, and I never see their spikes come out during that...

Every morning before work, the whole crew is dancing at one end of the tank where they can see me coming down the hall, just waiting for breakfast..

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 pm

I have a clown loach with a spot as well:

Seems normal, enjoys being with friends :)
Zenin