White Spot :(

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

papaloach

White Spot :(

Post by papaloach » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 pm

I have lost alot of clowns in the past due to white spot (ich), some large ones aswell witch has been quite upsetting :( I have halved the dosage of the treatment and raised the tempurature, but still they seem to get white spot and think the treatment makes them more ill.
Is there a way not to use the treatment and still cure it????
Please Help!!!

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 pm

turn the heat up to atleast 88* trust me, this is the best way to fight the ich off

Gary Mck

Post by Gary Mck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

What medicine are you using ?

papaloach

Post by papaloach » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Should that get rid of it through the whole cycle and kill it without using treatment? And i use King British white spot control which contains:
Malachite green (4% solution)
Acriflavine (0.005%)
Quinine sulphate (0.004%)

Dont know if thats any good
Thanks

HSTurning

Post by HSTurning » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Some people have posted that they have treated ick by just turning up the temp to 85-88 and just doing a vaccum of the gravel daily. I would also add more air (air stone or powerhead aimed at the surface). The higher the temp the less O2 in the water.
Good luck. I have lost a few in the past from it, but they were in my holding tank before being added to the main tanks.
I also remember someone mentioning if they live through it they possibly become less likely to get it again.
I need more tanks, more more more

papaloach

Post by papaloach » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Thank you all for your help!
Hope i can wish death on these horrible parasites lol.
Plus: Does anyone know how to upload photos on here? I cannot seem to do it!
THANKS!

kimura

Post by kimura » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:47 pm

In a non ovestocked tank, raising the temperature, adding air stones
and using the medication per the instructions should work. I've
heard there are some pretty tough strains of ich going around that this might not work with.

One of my loach tanks is pretty heavily stocked and despite my best efforts I could not get rid of ich. I fought it for 2 weeks with the battle
ending in a draw until i added a UV steralizer. Within one week visable
ich was gone but I ran it for another week to be sure. I've only had
to use the UV light twice but it worked like a champ both times. no
need for medication :)

All of my kubs and sids had it but none of my bolivian rams ever got it.
I didnt loose a single fish either time.

papaloach

Post by papaloach » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:14 pm

It`s not over stocked now but when it was thats when i got the white spot and had alot of clown loach die, I Moved my sharks into a three foot tank from the four foot tank which i`m having as a loach tank now instead. My biggest clown loach is around 6.5" so if he gets white spot and dies i want be happy. :(
I`ve heard of UV lights in aquaiums but have never known actually how they work and why there needed for.
Where do you put them in the tank and how much are they usually?

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:54 pm

I have UV sterilizers in all my tanks, but some on this forum feel that it might mask underlying infection. I do not know the evidence behind either opinion, only my personal experience.
I battled ich once for a MONTH with minimal improvement (used meds similar to yours, with water changes, plus increased temp). So sad, as I watched my fish suffer in that awful blue "ich medicine" water. That had to be an awful experience for them. Several clowns died and I felt like very inadequate in caring for them.
I ended up adding the UV sterilizer in desperation and this was the straw that cleared the ich THAT time.
Most recently I had another, much less severe outbreak in a different, new tank. I had been reading a lot about ich and new meds to treat resistant strains, and after a week of no improvement on the malachite green-formalin combo (even with extensive water changes, vaccuuming of gravel), decided to give quinine a try.
Within a WEEK my ich was GONE.
It may be the strain of ich locally that responded so well to the quinine. This may not be your strain, but it really worked well here.

Quinine is not cheap, but then neither are UV sterilizers. the ones I have range from $50 to $100 and the replacement bulbs are about $40 each!!!

Oh... vaccuuming the gravel VERY well and water changes are relatively cheap/free and you HAVE to do this, no matter what else you use, or the other interventions simply will not work!
glenna