moving coast to coast

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

Re: moving coast to coast

Post by NancyD » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Again, Diana, thank you! I'll be checking out your links. Sounds like July at the earliest... & thanks for the cycling offer...I may take you up on it...Can I let you know closer to time? I REALLY appeciate your help!

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:45 am

Sure, lets talk once the time gets closer.
Lots more good aquarium stores in the area, too!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Nancy,

If you are interested Uncle Ned has some Y. caudipunctata in listed as "speckle-tailed loach" I havent seen them but he said they look young, silvery gray, with a yellow dorsal and caudal fin with spots on both fins. $10 each if you are interested. I would take them but I am not sure young caudipunctata would get on well with 3 large adult caudipunctata, a bunch of splendida, one large/territorial eos, and a large lecontei.

Mike O.
A proud member of LOL since 1998

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks Mike, I'm not looking to get any new loaches until "after my potntial move" although those are tempting.I'm trying to be strong, at least until I have q better grip on the moving possibility...loooking likely AFAIK but it'll be a month or 2 until we know...I love Ned's as he knows... :twisted:

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:03 pm

When I moved from England to Canada I had the advantage of moving the fish before I came here permanently and having them housed by an experienced fishkeeper (my new wife.....now ex) in established aquaria.

I got regular fish shipping boxes from a local fish shop and packed the fish double or triple bagged (depending on spinyness) with Zeolite in each bag and chemical heat packs packed within the box, but isolated from the actual fish bags. The fish had all been fasted for 48 hours prior. As you may remember Nancy I was working in a Hospital at the time and Oxygen kinda "found" its way into the bags :twisted: . They went via Special Handling in the cargo hold and were sitting waiting for me when I hit the Customs Hall. Therefore I was in control for a lot of the time, although somehow the multiple stickers saying "LIVE FISH-THIS WAY UP" were ignored because the fish had obviously been tumbled. Some very spiney Plecs were just sitting in damp, punctured bags and the position of bags within the box was all over the place.

I've never actually seen a Baggage Handler.......I know they exist though because I've seen their footprints in my luggage.

All fish arrived safely despite the "Special" handling. When I finally left England I brought all my Hillstream Loaches in my carry-on baggage.
When did I travel? 8-11-2001......One month to the day before "carry on" fish transport possibilities ended :roll: Damn you Bin LadenImage

Moving the fish by air isn't that difficult, especially when you're travelling with them. If they go in Cargo then retrieving them at destination may be more complex than my experience because often the Cargo Terminal may be remote from the Passenger Terminal. Getting them there isn't difficult, but maintaining them before you get set up properly again may be. Sounds like Diana could be your Saviour with all her local knowledge.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for the ideas, Martin. Oxygen is something I'm worried about being able to get & the baggage handlers worry me too :evil: as do FedEx drivers.

When I flew my mother's dog home with me once she was brought out to me but I'm sure fish wouldn't be given the same consideration :( .