moving coast to coast

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

NancyD

moving coast to coast

Post by NancyD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 am

We may be moving to the SF bay area in the next year + I'm trying to decide about my fish. My husband's company will pay for "pet relocation" (within reason?). Some of my loaches are pets I'd like to move, some difficult to replace. I'm wondering if overnight shipping them to the new place is reasonable or too stressful. I know Martin moved his loaches when he moved from UK to Can...

We will have professional movers but I don't think I'll be moving all my tanks. So the fish could stay until our stuff gets to the new place + set up. We'd be selling our house so there'll be some back + forth trips with me staying here for a while...

I've got time to think about it, until June at the earliest. I'll be rehoming some fish, reorganizing others, tough decisions.

So, what tips + experiences can you give me? Individual bags for big fish; clowns, discus. Breather bags? Oxygen/bag buddies? Number of smaller fish per bag; sids, histys, pangios? Or skip moving them :cry: ?

newshound

Re: moving coast to coast

Post by newshound » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 pm

this year I moved ten min away and it was a pain in the a$$!!!!

that said I would move some of my guys across North America :D

have a tank/s ready or at least some rubbermaids.
drain your pool!

HSTurning

Post by HSTurning » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Nancy
I dont know much about moving. o2 packing them as far as I know should give a minimum of 24 hours of safe baging. Use larger stronger bags. I talk to a couple of the distributers fot the east coast and could ask questions if needed.
I think a few of the old regulars on the site could help more then me tho.
If you dont end up taking all of them I could possible rehome some.
I need more tanks, more more more

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I have asked a couple experienced shippers, a lfs & discus hobbyist/breeder. They both said other than expensive it's possible...but bad stuff can happen...I'm not sure my bagging skills are very good. Maybe I could hire that out from the lfs...

Yeah, moving anywhere is a PITA. I gave up my loaches 10 years ago rather than risk them. 2 moves in 2 months was going to be 2 much. It took me a couple years to get back into fish...and some of these guys are really more pets than before. Pro movers are nice though, except when they look at my stuff with raised eyebrows...Really? You're taking that? And pointing out every existing scratch. Knowing I don't have to pack or pay, I tend to bring everything!! The pre-move purge gets tiresome long beforehand, we're both kinda packrats.

Ardillakilla

Post by Ardillakilla » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm

My loaches spent 3 days on the road with me. I put 16 of them and a medium sized Oscar in a 40 gal acrylic tank in the trunk filled with ~15 gal of water. I also put in an airstone, 50W heater, and all the bioballs from my wet/dry filter (that kept the water quality quite nice during the trip and also preserved my biofilter).

IMO, bags are for shipping by air. If you're taking them with you on the road then you should give them as much water as possible and give them air, heat, and biofiltration.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:16 pm

No coast to coast road trip for me, they'll ship the cars, hopefully separately LOL. 25 years ago we lost a few of the fish we tried to move by road, it was heartbreaking. But it was the 2 step move to temporary housing...then "home" :cry: . No loaches that time, we were sure we'd be able to replace our beloved sids...little did we know it'd be 20+ years before we'd find them again... :( ,,,shipping or not at all is what I'm thinking...

Ardillakilla

Post by Ardillakilla » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm

I guess shipping them is your only option then. It's going to be expensive to do it right but there chances are no worse than being rehomed (unless you can find a really good home for them). I've read many threads on other forums where someone acquired a bunch of big old loaches that were previously owned and quickly killed them all either by not acclimating them properly or allowing them to succumb to ich (most people's tanks have latent ich infections).

You can get fairly large insulated shipping containers online if your LFS don't have them.

I've heard of people using this place:

http://www.shipyouraquatics.com/

And one other option:

http://www.uship.com/pets/

Pick "live fish" from the drop down menu on the upper left.

Someone with experience with live fish might just be making a cross country trip.

It might even be possible to take them on the same plane as you but in the heated cargo section. It'd be like shipping via air cargo which is the preferred (but not 100% foolproof) method for sending expensive/large animals) except you'd get on the plane too.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 pm

The only thing I can add is to be careful to double bag or other container to make sure the loaches don't accidently puncture the bags.

And I would add: take your fish. :)

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Where in the BA are you thinking of? I have friends all over, and can get water reports from just about all the local water systems so you can start acclimating your fish to different mineral levels before the move.
There are a LOT of aquarium stores and aquarium services if you decide to ship your fish they can receive the shipment and handle them until you are ready to take them.

I can grow you a LOT of nitrifying bacteria to jump start the cycle in the equipment that you decide to move. Bacteria can be ready when you want it, it takes about 3 weeks to grow lots and lots of it. You could also buy bacteria in a bottle, most of the fish stores sell the real products (Nitrospiros sp).
If you look at Craig's List for San Francisco Bay Area and surrounding counties/cities (Monterey, Sacramento and many others) you might find a deal on some stuff that makes it not worth shipping, but on the whole, I would keep the stuff you are familiar with, especially if it is not a really common item.

If you are already thinking that it will involve a couple of trips back and forth for other reasons, then maybe...

Buy some tanks and whatever comes with them from Craig's List near here. Set them up with whatever filter, heater, light etc, but do not worry about cycling them unless someone is here to keep them cycled. Set them up near where the permanent tanks will go, but not in your way. Return to your old home and ship the fish to a company that will baby sit them until your next trip (Hopefully a short time). Then take down the tanks and everything, and ship everything. When you get back here cycle the temporary tanks, (24 hours) and go get your fish.
When your original tanks etc arrive set up the real tanks, filters and whatever else you have shipped, and transfer the fish.
Then sell whatever you do not want to keep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEFORE THE MOVE
A) Water chemistry.
When fish are moved to water that is different from what they were used to this can cause problems. If there is any way you can find out ahead of time what the water is like at the new location you can start acclimating the fish before the move. Test GH, KH, TDS and pH.
If the GH or KH is up to 2 degrees higher at the new place, this is OK.
If the GH or KH is no more than 1 degree lower at the new place, this is OK.
If the TDS is within 15% higher or 10% lower at the new place this is OK.
If the pH is within .2 either way, this is OK. The pH could vary even more, and is not likely to be a problem if the other tests are well within the safe limits.
If any test is beyond these numbers, then alter the aquarium water a little bit in that direction with each water change for a couple of weeks before the move. If the water is really way off you might need to bring some water with you from the old location, or buy reverse osmosis water at the new place and add minerals to make it into a transition sort of mix.
B) Disturbing the debris.
Start cleaning the tank ahead of time. A few really deep, thorough gravel vacs in the couple of weeks preceding the move can really help. Clean the filter several days or a week before the move. Allow the beneficial bacteria several days recovery time before the move. Do not clean the filter on the same day you move.
C) Assemble what you need.
Buckets, towels, packing material, ice chest… Several suggestions follow.

DAY OF THE MOVE part 1, PACKING
A) Do not feed the fish in the morning. (Less waste to add to the water)
B) Unplug, turn off all equipment.
C) Fill the containers the fish will be in about 25% water from the tank. Remaining space is for air. Separate the fish by species, and do not put too many in one container. If it is an aggressive species separate each fish. Add a stress relief product, such as Stress Coat. A product that locks up ammonia is great, too.
1) A 5 gallon bucket could hold 1.5 gallons of water and up to 6” of fish. Put the lid on right away! Longer trip = less fish per bucket.
2) Plastic bags similar to fish store bags can hold 2-6” of fish (larger fish = larger bags) Tie off the corners so the fish will not dive into the corners and get trapped. Double bag any fish with spines. Put the bags in a Styrofoam box or ice chest for insulation. Breather bags are available from Kordon. Follow their directions (full bag, proper stocking levels, proper packing)
D) Plants in separate buckets, bags or plastic storage containers. Cooler is better than too warm. About 65* to 75* is optimum for most tropical plants. Plants with stiff leaves may not need to be underwater if the container is sealed and humid. Plants could be wrapped in damp newspaper or paper towel and packed in plastic bags in boxes.
E) Filter media with nitrifying bacteria should be kept in a humid place, but does not need to be underwater. Cool is better than too warm, but not freezing. About 60* - 75* is optimum, cooler is OK. If the trip is less than an hour you could keep the media in the filter, just drain the water. For longer trips a separate container will allow the bacteria more oxygen. For example, dump all the media into a bucket with a few inches of water and seal it.
F) Substrate also has a lot of nitrifying bacteria, and can be heavy. Buckets intended for heavy stuff would be best. Do not leave it in the tank.
G) Driftwood could be kept damp in a garbage bag. Large rocks might be best carried one at a time. You will probably loose the bacteria on the rocks, but this is not enough to worry about.
H) All other equipment: Pack it so it won’t break. Wrap the tank and stand for protection.

DAY OF THE MOVE part 2, MOVING
A) A short move, a few minutes to a couple of hours is best done in one day. If you can choose to travel in mild weather, this is best. If you run the air conditioner or heater make sure the plants, fish and bacteria are away from the vents, in a location with a stable temperature. You can get a 12 volt air pump to help the fish. Try a store that specializes in equipment for boaters, they use such pumps to keep bait and catch alive. This will run off your car battery. Drill a couple of holes in the lids of the buckets and put an air line into each bucket with a gentle bubbler in the water. Keep the fish in the dark, it is less stressful.
B) A longer move (overnight, stop at motel) must be planned more carefully. Keep the fish, plants and bacteria in moderate temperatures. Air pump is even more important than for a short move. If you are really worried bring some water for water changes, and re-bag the fish every other day.
C) Longer than this you might consider shipping the fish to a friend or to an aquarium service company or a store near the new location. Then you will have more time to get the aquarium set up, and the fish will have a shorter travel time.

DAY OF THE MOVE part 3, ARRIVAL
A) Get the fish, plants and bacteria into a location with stable temperature.
B) Prepare as much new water as you will need.
C) Set up the stand, and be sure it is level. Add tank, and equipment. (Do not plug in anything.)
D) Put substrate in the tank. Fill with water just below the substrate.
E) Add rocks, driftwood and plants. Mist the plants a lot.
F) Fill the tank but run the water in slowly onto a plate or sheet of plastic. Slow and gentle, it will seep into the substrate and not cloud the water.
G) Add Nitrospiros sp. of nitrifying bacteria, this replaces the nitrifying bacteria that may have died during the move.
H) Turn on and test the equipment. Adjust as needed.
I) Net the fish out of the buckets. The water the fish were moved with has a lot of ammonia and stress hormones. Do not add this to the tank.
J) Lights off the rest of the day. Feed only if the fish seem settled in well.

FIRST WEEK
A) Test daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to be sure the bacteria have recovered. Water changes as needed.
B) Feed lightly for a few days if needed. If the fish and bacteria are well settled regular meals are fine.
C) Add plant fertilizer at ¼ the regular rate for a while. The plants need time to reestablish before they need or can use the full dose of fertilizer.
D) Monitor all the equipment to be sure it also has made the move OK. Heater and CO2 might need some adjustment.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am

Wow Diana, thank you for the great offer & ideas! The job will be in Emeryville between Oakland & Berkeley. We're not sure where we'd live but would like a less than hour commute, ie no bridges to cross & on the "cool side" rather than hot, more eastern areas. Sounds like a lot of microclimates both for weather & safety... & affordability. Any areas you'd suggest looking/avoiding? Hopefully we'll be able to find a permanent home sooner rather than long term temporary & double moves.

As we have a house to sell here, there will no doubt be several back & forth trips, with me stuck here most likely, with or without furniture. I'm thinking I may not have to move all my fish at 1 time, either shipping them or flying with them in batches, with my husband there to receive/caretake. It will all come down to finding a place to live & timing.

Great idea on CL tanks, I hear CA is the land of cheap tanks. I'm both excited & overwhelmed at the idea of moving so far.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm

http://www.ebmud.com/sites/default/file ... port_1.pdf

Here is a water report for the water company that serves most of the area you are interested in. Look on page 4. See the yellow-gold area, including Emeryville? That also just happens to be the cooler area that is within 1 hour commute (mostly less) and not across a bridge. That area (Emeryville) is right in the center of a really bad commute area. Many, many people are trying to get across the Bay Bridge, and it is currently under re-construction. Mostly this is not a problem (the construction), but once in a while...

At the eastern edge of that yellow area is a range of hills. Absolutely FANTASTIC views, but it is the dividing line between mild summers (mostly in the 70s, a few 80s here and there) and warmer summers (regularly into the 80s and 90-100* happens a few times each year)

Farther north (sort of tan shading) are some towns that have a poor reputation, though some neighborhoods are pretty nice.

East Bay Municipal Utility District (East Bay MUD) has a reputation for very good water, very soft. chloramines are used. I think the average amount usually tests out to about 1 ppm Ammonia and 1 ppm chlorine. The water originates in the mountains about 100 miles inland. The water does not pick up many minerals in those mountains, mostly they are granite.

I have friends on EBMUD water that keep wild caught Angels (I think they use Reverse Osmosis, though).

http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zo ... 000067175/
Here is another reference that is really helpful about climate.
Zone 14 is quite hot and cold, 15 and 16 are in between, and 17 is the mildest. You can read the details, or ask me for more info.
Mostly, the closer you get to the ocean the milder the weather, both summer and winter.
This extends up the river that is to the north east of the bay. (See the map)
Once you get beyond any hills, away from the water the summers get hotter and the winters get colder.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:31 am

Fantastic info Diana! The water seems very similar to ours here although a higher pH so that would be easier for the fish to adjust to. Chloramines vs chlorine here but I use Prime & with a good biofilter it shouldn't be a problem. The climate map is great too, along with your insights. Thank you so much!

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Prime is commonly used here, too, available just about everywhere.

pH is not usually a problem for fish to adapt to, it is the GH that is most important of the tests we commonly do. If you have a TDS meter that is what I use even more than GH and KH to be sure the fish will be OK in a new tank.

Happy fish keeping!

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Yep, TDS is what I use most too, especially since I've been out of KH/GH test for a while :oops: Mine is just under 200ppm tap last I checked. I found a couple nice houses, 1 with a fantasy kitchen, whoo hoo! Others with fab views, I'm getting excited! California here I come! ( I think...) I feel so relieved about my fish, thanks everyone, especially you Diana, your help has been awesome! Hubby's Co has sweetened the pot too, sounds like this could be a GO!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Let me know when you want me to start raising cycle bacteria.
It takes a minimum of 3 weeks starting from scratch, though I will sure jump start the colony from my own filters.
I can use some pretty flexible media, too, so it will go into just about any style of filter you want, or even just hang in the tank in a mesh net.

TDS of around 200 is pretty much the low end for EBMUD water, so your fish ought to adjust pretty easily.

Here are a few links to local aquarium stores:

http://www.albanyaquarium.com/

http://www.aquariumconceptsinc.com/

http://www.adana-usa.com/

And local aquariums:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

http://www.calacademy.org/

Happy fish keeping!