What's the best time to buy clown loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Curtis

What's the best time to buy clown loaches?

Post by Curtis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:05 pm

What time of the year are clown loaches collected in the wild?

I'm having a hard time finding new clowns that are healthy or that will at least survive 2 weeks with me.

Thanks
Last edited by Curtis on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HSTurning

Re: What time of the year are clown loaches collected?

Post by HSTurning » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I have seen alot in my area. But atleast half look skinny.
I need more tanks, more more more

starsplitter7

Re: What time of the year are clown loaches collected?

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:15 pm

We always have lots of Clowns for sale, but I have a hard time with them if they are under 3" when I buy them.

I had a friend give me 6 Clowns last week. They are all 2-2.5 inches. I need to start planning a 125 gallon tank. Hmmm . . .

Curtis

Re: What's the best time to buy clown loaches?

Post by Curtis » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 pm

A revised version of my question is what time of the year are clown loaches collected in the wild?

Furthermore, when is the best time to buy clown loaches that are healthiest?

I've recently purchased some clowns to add to my school and have had very poor results. In the past I've bought clowns and had very good success so I'm kind of at a loss as to why clowns are doing so poorly now.

starsplitter7

Re: What's the best time to buy clown loaches?

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Locally (Hillsborough County, Florida) our fish farms breed their own clown loaches. They are nationwide distributors. One of Florida's biggest export is tropical fish. Are you sure the clowns you find to purchase are wild? Did you ask any of the distributors where they receive their clowns from? It seems to me that since Clowns are universally available at all times of the year, they are being mass produced outside of wild caught fish. I think there is more variation in wild clowns.

My best results have been larger clowns, usually preowned clowns.

You didn't mention if you have the loach book, so I took a look. It talks a lot about wild collections and that it is seasonal, but it doesn't mention which seasons. Checked the website with no results. Wish I could help you.