why can’t I get my water crystal clear

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

natnat

why can’t I get my water crystal clear

Post by natnat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Hello
My setup is about 8 weeks old. I have a 550 litter (135 G) with 12 beautiful clown loaches, 8 rainbows, 6 torpedo barbs and 4 deacons. Most of the fish are under 4 inch.
I have so much filtration that even the shop suggested I slow down...
1. Eheim canister pro 3 2080 (1700 l p/h) mainly biological
2. Eheim canister classic 2217 (1000i P/h) mainly mechanical
3. The boyu built in filter sort of a wet/dry system, that the tank came with (1000 l p/h)
4. Dolphin canister c-1300 (1000 l p/h)

So as you can see filtration is more than adequate, yet the water are no clear, not the way one would expect with this setup. Parameters are perfect, Nitrate under 10 and I do water changes twice a week.... so why why why?

bookpage

Re: why can’t I get my water crystal clear

Post by bookpage » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Post some pictures of your tank.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

natnat

Post by natnat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 pm

here is a link to a short video i took about 4 days ago maybe that will give you an idea it was taken before i added the rainbows and torpedo's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXjroh9rU38

fain

Post by fain » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Just a guess, but I'd say that it's tannins in the water from the driftwood. If it is, then boiling it and soaking it a few times should cut down on the haze in the water. I think there is a guide on cleaning driftwood somewhere...

On another note, Merry Christmas! :D
...or happy holidays, take your pick!

fain

Post by fain » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Here's an excerpt from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

"What driftwood does to water

Boiling driftwood will have remove much of the tannins contained in the wood. What are tannins? Tannins are a natural compound contained in the driftwood and they are released into your tank water as the driftwood soaks. Tannins will stain your tank water a light yellow color or when concentrated - the color of tea. The amount of staining depends on what type of driftwood and how much wood driftwood you are using. Boiling driftwood can be thought of as placing a bag of tea in a hot cup of water. The longer the tea is in the water and the hotter the water is, the more tannins that will be released.

Soaking driftwood in a container will also help release the tannins before it is introduced into the aquarium. This process can take quite a bit of time. It can be weeks or even months before most of the tannins are released."

I hope this helps!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:08 pm

I see that silvery haze, but I do not know what to suggest.
My tanks are all much more heavily planted than yours, and I think the plants are removing a lot of stuff from the water.

Could the digging fish be stirring up the substrate now and then?

How fine a media do you have in the filters? I would suggest some polyester floss, and if you already have that then a specialty filter designed to polish the water.

Do not reduce the filtration, that much water movement is just fine.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:41 pm

I think that fain is correct here based on the appearance of that water. If the bogwood was not boiled or has not previously been used in an aquarium this is exactly how the water tends to look. Activated Carbon placed in one of the filters should remove it in a couple of days.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

natnat

Post by natnat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm

thank you guys, although i did boil and soaked the wood it appears i didn't do it for long enough... will get some (more) carbon and see how it goes.
Thank you!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Most of the fish will appreciate the tannins, and they will eventually wear off.