Botia kubotai actually Botia rostrata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mike Ophir

Botia kubotai actually Botia rostrata

Post by Mike Ophir » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:35 am

I remember there being an argument a while ago when B. kubotai first came out whether its actually a morph of B. rostrata or not? Perhaps a regional variation?

How has this been resolved?

M. Ophir
A proud member of LOL since 1998

piggy4

Re: Botia kubotai actually Botia rostrata

Post by piggy4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:52 am

Kub's and rost's are both closely related but scientifically different :!: Kub's are Burmese whilst Rost's are from India , there is an opinion that the true identity to the Brahmaputra drainage fish we see in the hobby as Rostrata is only tentative :?:

Mike Ophir

Post by Mike Ophir » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Yes true, but my concern is that the claims made in Kottelat's paper seem to be reaching. I have a hard time following his argument for why they should be separate species when regional variations could produce morphs with the same degree of variation. I mean look at the variability in fin rays and morphs in B. almorhae

Additionally I am a long time doubter of his break up of the genus Botia, his reasons seem to me a bit absurd to be honest. I know I am not a professional ichthyologist and he has had a career filled with milestones and accomplishments. However his work regarding the breakup of the Botiidae into 4 separate genera just doesnt make sense. Anyone with any thoughts or counter arguments?

Thanks,

Mike O.
A proud member of LOL since 1998

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Personally I think the two fish are different , certainly behaviourally which would surely help in the differenciating factors ?