checking in

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

checking in

Post by chefkeith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:29 pm

Just wanted to say hello to all my friends here and say happy holidays. My loaches have been doing fine and I haven't made any changes to my tanks in quite some time. I'll probably work on my tanks over the weekend since I got some free time. Perhaps I'll re-arrange one of my tanks again and take a few pics.

starsplitter7

Re: checking in

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Glad to hear from you. Look forward to new pictures of your tanks. :)

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:00 am

It's good to hear from you and I am glad that you are well. I would like to see current pictures of your tanks.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 pm

Finished working on my tanks. Rearranged the 190g somewhat. Cleaned the filters, glass, and inspected everything. I think I'm due to buy some new filters. All the ones I have are over 5 years old. The Filstar's all seem to be running good, but my 2 Eheim pro II's have had a few problems. Thinking about getting a couple of FX5's.

Also thinking about getting rid of 190g (again) and replacing it with a 100g tank. This 190 just ain't working for me. I don't like that it's difficult to grow plants in, it's difficult to maintain, and how it has less cabinet storage space underneath it.

I need to build a new water-bridge also. I need a longer one so that I can move the 190 tank (or new tank) closer to the wall.

That pretty much sums up everything that I'm thinking about.

Here's some pics-
This is the 190g tank (72"H x 24"W x 27"H). You can see how the crypts aren't doing too well anymore. They thrived when this tank was used as a paludarium and the water was only 1 foot deep. The new tank I'm thinking about getting would be 72"L x 24W x 13H. The same footprint as this tank, but about half the height.
This is the 85 g tank. It's 48"x 18w x 22h. The plants aren't doing all that great in this tank either. I'll be moving them to the new tank when I get it and try growing something else (or maybe I'll get rid of this tank also for something more ideal).
This is the 160g clown loach river tank. It's a low light tank, with just rope light, and my camera (logitech webcam) has no flash. :idea: Thinking I need a new camera too.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Wow! Those are really nice. I hope to upgrade my tanks in the near future. :)

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:59 am

Your tanks are looking good. Since my Eheims are now 2-3 years old, I am curious as to what problems you are having with yours?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Tanja and Keith.

Hey Keith- I took a few pics to show you.

A hose barb on each of the quick disconnects broke. I used 2 part epoxy, a pvc coupling, and a hose barb to fix them.

On one, the priming pump and an EZ clip broke.

On that same bad one, a plastic piece in the motor housing that holds the impeller cover broke. I used some 2 part epoxy to hold the cover in place.

I just ordered an FX5, I didn't realize they were so expensive, so I just got 1. So I'll keep using the better filter and use the bad one for parts. The only thing wrong with the other is the broken hose barb on the quick disconnect, but it works fine with the way I fixed it.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:03 pm

Wow, those are some pretty serious problems with the filters and are not the sort of problems that I would expect from Eheim. Mine have been excellent so far. I'll just have to see how it goes in the long run.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Well, I just bought two 50 gallon tanks. They measure 36"x 18"W x 19H each. Not sure where I'll put them or what I'll do with them yet. I might move the 85g tank and put these 2 tanks in that spot.

millsn

Post by millsn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:43 pm

My 2227 died and got replaced with an FX5, very pleased with it. Really good flow - no maintenance to date, I'm looking in tomorrow. :!: