What temp is your dojo happy at?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

What temp is your dojo happy at?

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 am

I know there are experts and people with crazy experience here w/ these gorgeous little fish. I want to keep mine for A LONG time. Is my tank too warm? It's 75 ish lately (I don't mean that it fluctuates beyond 75, just that we had to raise the temp recently due to ich)...
Someone mentioned that their longevity may be affected by temps like this. Do you have your dojo's in colder water?
In the tank, now, are 2 Kuhlis (MAYBE), 3 dojo, 6 praecox rainbows, one danio, and a small school of neons. Oh. And one nasty plecostomoose.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Dojosmama

Re: What temp is your dojo happy at?

Post by Dojosmama » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:39 am

Dojos are coldwater fish. They can live in tropical tank temperatures, but doing so shortens their lifespan. They really shouldn't be in water that is continually 70F or warmer. In my coldwater tank, the temperature hovers around 65 to 68, occasionally going up to 70. When it gets that high, I float ice cubes on the surface to cool it down. Naturally, I don't have a heater in a coldwater tank. They would probably be okay for a short time in 70+ degree water, but if they're living in that warm a temperature all the time, it's not good for them.

One article I read said they could tolerate temperatures as low as 44F. I would never allow even a coldwater tank to get that cold, however.

As soon as you can, you should lower your tank temp to below 70F, and try to keep it there.

Dojos are fun, aren't they? Cute little things.

-- Dojosmama

zenins

Post by zenins » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 am

I keep my dojo weather loaches with goldfish and koi at room temperature, no heater in the aquarium.

The water temp fluctuates between 18C and 21C (64F and 70F) sometimes up to 23C (73F) when my daughter is home from university and turns up the house furnace :lol:
Zenin

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Oy, I have so much to learn about fish! Thank you for your info! I will start lowering my tank gradually once I verify that all the fish in my tank can tolerate the colder temps (if not, well, I guess i have to get another aquarium.....hehe....).
Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me so readily. I really, REALLY do not want to lose ANY more loaches, so I'm pretty much going to do whatever it takes to keep 'em healthy and happy.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I know Kuhlies need to be warm. I think Neons and Plecos can handle slightly cooler temps, but I don't think as low as Dojos prefer.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Plecos are not one species, but is a common name for many Loricariads.

Which one are you talking about? Planet Catfish is a good resource for Catfish info.

I keep my Dojos in a room temperature tank. The heater is unplugged in the summer, and set about as low as it can be in the winter.
The tank is also near a cool window. Only source of heat is the pumps from power head and filters.
I have not actually looked at the thermometer lately, but when I had to stick my arm in there to adjust something it was pretty cold.

I also have a Gold Barb and a couple of Danios in there. Not Zebras, these Danios are a bit larger and look a lot like a trout: lots of specklng.
I am gradually moving other cool water fish into this tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:54 pm

So what WOULD be good tank mates for dojos????
I am in the process of fishless cycling a 55 gallon tank to be a growing tank for my three dojos (currently in a 20 gallon and quickly growing) and am at a loss as to what else can go in there with them.
thanks for any suggestions, and sorry to high jack your post, but it sounds like we have the same questions!
glenna

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Glenna, in my tank with my Dojos, I have White Cloud Minnows, Zebra Danios, Glo-Fish Danios, Rosy Barbs and Japanese Trapdoor Snails (coldwater snails). All of these fish peacefully co-exist with my Dojos. Sometimes during a feeding frenzy, or when the barbs get restless, they'll peck at the Dojos once or twice, but my Dojos have also been known to jump at them when the o-nips have entered the tank (their favorite food and that of the barbs, along with algae pellets). No real fighting ever has occurred, and everyone finds their little morsel and goes about dining.

If you keep snail in with Dojos, they need to be large ones, as Dojos will eat snails.

Also, keep a tight lid on your tank with no holes in it, not even the tiniest. Dojos love to jump.

Hope this helps.

-- Dojosmama

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:28 pm

hey thanks,... I like zebra danios, and did not know they could go that cold.
I also LOVE white cloud minnows, but do not know how easily i can get them here.
Thanks for the ideas!
gg
glenna