Clown loach with black freckles?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Loaches4Life

Clown loach with black freckles?

Post by Loaches4Life » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Just wondering exactly what this is. Ive had him for 2 years now.

Bully

Re: Clown loach with black freckles?

Post by Bully » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:52 pm

This has been asked occasionally in the past, here's three threads that come up from running a search on "Blackspot". The first post with the link in it is a very good thread but, it is very long!

Forum search for Blackspot

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 pm

IME, it's probably a glandular disorder. If the water chemistry is rapidly changed that can sometimes trigger the grand to produce more black pigmentation. I'm just guessing here, but some of the rocks you have may be leaching and making the water harder. Then if you go a few weeks or months without a water change, then do a large water change, presto. I only recommend small water frequent water changes, such as 2 - 20% water changes per week.

Loaches4Life

Post by Loaches4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 pm

chefkeith wrote:IME, it's probably a glandular disorder. If the water chemistry is rapidly changed that can sometimes trigger the grand to produce more black pigmentation. I'm just guessing here, but some of the rocks you have may be leaching and making the water harder. Then if you go a few weeks or months without a water change, then do a large water change, presto. I only recommend small water frequent water changes, such as 2 - 20% water changes per week.
Well he was in a group that i bought a couple years ago. i remeber seeing a black spot on his dorsal fin. After about a year a few more appeared. Now they kinda come and go one at a time, always a few on him at a time. i do a 30% or so WC every 2 weeks, never a problem in years. I just wonder if maybe it genetics. i know other people own clowns with this also.

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm

mine have freckles and often have freckles appear that i can't normally see when they grey out. sometimes i only see certain freckles at times. im no pro but i think they are fine.
All your loaches are belong to me!