pavlov's kuhlis

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Donna

pavlov's kuhlis

Post by Donna » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

My African Dwarf Frogs are in a 2.5 gal glass tank on the same counter as the kuhlis and angels. Three times a week the frogs get thawed frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp or mosquito larvae from a stainless-steel hemostat, which inevitably clinks softly against the glass a few times.
At this sound, the kuhlis and angels in their own tank over three feet away suddenly go into a food-search frenzy, the angels pecking at the surface near the wall closest to the frogs, the kuhlis coming out of hiding sniffing around.
The frogs only get half a cube, the rest I give to the angels and kuhlis.
It's amazing to see the immediate and dramatic change in their behavior when they hear that sound. They can see and hear more than we give them credit for, learn and remember.
The angels can also tell the difference between their fish flake container, and the bloodworm container. They eat fish flakes happily enough, but really go nuts just seeing the bloodworm container outside their tank.
Fascinating.
Carpe Didelphis!

starsplitter7

Re: pavlov's kuhlis

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

A fish keeper told me that Fish also know our voices. I thought that was interesting.

You have a great schedule that your fish have learned your routine. :)

Donna

Post by Donna » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I love my fish
Carpe Didelphis!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

And it shows. :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:17 pm

My fish get excited by the glass dish I use to thaw frozen foods or even the difference between me holding a bag of flake & a can of pellets. They also notice the veggie clip & lettuce leaf/zucchini if I show it to them. I also get the "bite the clip" hints that they're hungry. Got to love the learning our fish are capable of...my discus are still trying to teach my husband to feed them, they stare intently at him & wiggle in the begging dance if he looks over at them, to no avail even after 1.5 years. But I get the same treatment if I look over my should toward him or them, the food goddess glance is magic!