Tame hand feed Clown loach VDO added Must see!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Vancmann

Re: Tame hand feed Clown loach VDO added Must see!

Post by Vancmann » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

glenna

Post by glenna » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey Vancemann!
Those are some nice sized and very tame loaches you have there! How long did it take to get them that tame. Have you had them since they were little? Do they feel soft and gushy?
So nice to see hungry fat loaches!
My clowns are very curious about me, but definitely afraid. They will come to the front glass when I sit in front of the tank, but immediately hide onder their cave and peer out when I try to move my face closer.
glenna

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Thank you :)
I have had all but the largest since they were little. I have had the smallest ones since august 2009 and the mid ones range from 1994 to 1997. The largest one I got in 1995 and was alraeady pretty big. Since I have had loaches, they have never been brave enough to pay attention to anything on the surface much less my hand. There were periods however when a couple of them would take food from the surface.
About a year ago, they started acting real hungry and would follow me around, swimming up and down and to side of the tank I stood. They constantly begged for food. I took it a step further and used a piece of stainless wire with a piece of their favorite food stucked on one end to feed certain under feed and smaller individuls. They learned that whatever is stuck on the end of that wire is food. Including garlic.

After a while the greedy ones anticipated where I put the wire and snagged the food anyway. A few months ago I started to use my hand. The largest one (alpha female) started eating from my hand first. She recently got sick and has lost her appetite. The smaller ones had originally started to imitate her befere but now that she does not eat, they just take full advantage and abuse my hand. The bravest one now is the little female that wriggles around as if crippled. I almost lost her due to a leech of toxic chemicals in my tank a few years ago. Although I lost all my other loaches, she was the only clown that was affected. I am glad she survived.

Back on track, every day that goes by they get more comfortable and more curious. I am now allowed to touch them. I cannot really get a guage on how they feel because my hands are so hard and rough compared to their skin. My best description would be that their bodies are not slimy or mucousy but soft and smooth like a fine velvet. This is with light perssure. Their Pectorial fins are tough and don't have the smooth feeling. They have some hard tooth like a beek in their mouth. No sharp teeth though.
Think I covered everything
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

glenna

Post by glenna » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:55 pm

amazing! ....and good work.
Thanks for the detailed reply
The do LOOK soft like velvet, don't they!
glenna

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:47 am

Well, in the past month they have become even more tame and now chase my hand or pry through my fingers. Little bit scary knowing I am so close to their subocular spine. Sudden movements don't scare them anymore either and they seem very comfortable.
I will post some more videos soon.

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm

yeah!
Would love some video!
MAybe I will share it with LArry, and the other loaches in his tank so they will know how to act!
glenna