ID and helpful info for hillstream loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Rusty

ID and helpful info for hillstream loaches?

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:42 am

Hey all, well I bought these lil guys about 2 months ago, they were incorrectly labelled as marble loaches.

I have a group of 4 of them, and they live in a well planted aquarium with low current but pretty decent aeration, and they seem perfectly happy, they're moving around 90% of the time, topping one another periodically, and sucking on the rocks and moving as if they were a typewriter.

I know I don't have enough algae on my rocks, and Wales being the sunny place it is (hah) I can't grow algae well outside.
I feed a supplement of algae wafers and the occasional treat of bloodworm. They share their aquarium with a male Siamese Fighter who shows no interest in them whatsoever, and 4 otocinclus.

Interesting note, the otocinclus seem to "shoal" with the loaches. Anyway, on to the ID and information.

starsplitter7

Re: ID and helpful info for hillstream loaches?

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 am

The Otos like to live in big groups, the bigger the better, so I can see them schooling with the loaches. :)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Rusty,

You have a Pseudogastromyzon species there, either P. cheni or P. myersi. The following link should help you to differentiate between these two very similar species:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ps ... yzon-cheni

You really do need to increase the current in your tank, these are hillstream fish that need fast flowing highly oxygenated waters to fare well long-term. You might find this article by Martin Thoene useful: http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstr ... -fast-lane

Best wishes,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes we realised the need for increased current a little while ago, we are working on this.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Rusty wrote:Yes we realised the need for increased current a little while ago, we are working on this.
Just another word of advice: as well as working on increasing the current in your tank, you could do with working on your manners too.

Regards,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Emma Turner wrote:
Rusty wrote:Yes we realised the need for increased current a little while ago, we are working on this.
Just another word of advice: as well as working on increasing the current in your tank, you could do with working on your manners too.

Regards,

Emma
Excuse me? Was that entirely nescessary? I don't feel like I have done or said anything wrong. I apologise if I have offended you in any way, but all I did was reply to your post saying we are working on improving the tank situation.

For the record I reported your post as I felt you were completely out of order doing that, whilst I really appreciated the help with the ID I don't appreciate such an attack.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Rusty,

Generally when someone takes the time and effort to reply and help on these forums, it would be considered good etiquette to say thank you. :wink:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Rusty,

Generally when someone takes the time and effort to reply and help on these forums, it would be considered good etiquette to say thank you. :wink:
I have always waited until the end of a thread and then thanked all who replied. This is the way I have always done things and have never encountered such an issue.

Frankly if people are going to jump down my throat for not immediately saying thank you for every little thing then i'll just go back to my own forum.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Requesting thread lock/deletion.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Rusty wrote:Requesting thread lock/deletion.
Threads will only be deleted/locked if they contravene the Forum rules. This thread does not meet those criteria and other members may gain further knowledge by its continuance.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 am

Careful Rusty I incured the wrath of Emma and Graeme a while back ,they run this site with a rod of iron :( and won't tolerate any insubordination from any of the minions here LOL :cry: and you'll never get Martin too desert his masters either :lol:

Peace n love :)

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm

From the Forum Rules:
Posts that are found to be misleading, repetitive, abusive, or pointless may be deleted at the discretion of the forum moderators. Posters who are seen to be abusing the services provided by this forum will be asked to leave. The forum moderators reserve the right to register complaints with your internet service provider if you are seen to be missing the point of this disclaimer.
All other posts will be treated with great respect and courtesy. We are confident that we can offer good, up-to-date advice on any challenges faced by loach keepers.
PM sent.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.