River tank lighting suggestions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

aquachromis

River tank lighting suggestions

Post by aquachromis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi all:
I'm setting up a new river tank for some hillstream loaches and garra flavatra. It's a 20gallon long tank, so 30". I'm looking for suggestions on lighting. I've found a few fixtures online that look good, or I thought I could use an AH supply kit and DIY. I guess I'm most concerned with the lights adding too much heat to the tank. Does anyone have a suggestion for lighting a 30" long tank? I've also thought about trying to DIY an LED set-up but I'm not sure I'm up for it. I'd have to learn how to solder. I want to have enough light to grow a nice coating of algae for the fish to graze and I'll probalby add some mosses or java ferns.

newshound

Re: River tank lighting suggestions

Post by newshound » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

you can always grow algae on rocks etc... in a plastic bucket or whatever in your yard and then add it to your tank. That way you'd have a steady supply and not adding so much heat to the tank.
I have also heard that leaving the light on for long periods of time will promote algae growth. I don't know if that is true but worth a shot.
drain your pool!