Unknowingly, I seem to have violated most of the rules...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

glenna

Re: Unknowingly, I seem to have violated most of the rules..

Post by glenna » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 pm

thanks for the video (and the advice!)
your loaches are LOVELY! It was almost like the old ones KNEW they were on camera!

I have a wet-dry and a canister filter on my clown loach tank. Since I have live plants, I don't think the UGF will work, but hopefully, the wet-dry will have enough biofilter ( the canister is a new addition!) to cover all my bases.
oh,....and continuing those water changes :wink:
glenna

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Very nice looking clowns. I'm surprised 20 year olds don't show the whitish "stretch marks" more. My main problem with UGF is plant roots clogging the plates but it looks like you use plastic. I took my last 1 out 5 years ago, I was sorry I never tried reverse flow UGF but don't miss the uplift tubes.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:06 am

Agathokles, this is one of the most amazing threads I have ever read.

Thanks for posting your video. Compared to my bulky 17 year old fish yours look like mere youngsters that you bought a couple of years ago, though I absolutely believe what you say of course!

I am amazed to hear from you that UGF plus vacuuming actually lowers nitrates as well as clearing up the ammonia, nitrite and organic particles. This would explain why I can have several large fish and yet the nitrate level stays the same as in the incoming tap water at 5pppm. This will help the health of the fish no end.

NancyD, it seemed to me that reverse flow UGF was a passing fad that didn't work and was ridiculous in concept. You didn't miss out on anything. Instead of trapping the particles in the gravel it blew them into the water column making for a very unsatisfactory view. I was advised to use it when I started and quickly changed my mind!
Last edited by redshark1 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

agathokles

Post by agathokles » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 am

redshark1: I really don't understand what's kept my older Clowns looking so young. I know I'm not messing up the age calculation. I bought four Clowns in 1991 when I lived in another house. I moved them with me when I bought my current house in 1992. One died about 10 years ago. The largest Clown of the remaining three is only about 5 inches (13 cm). I feed them twice daily, but their diet is boring by standards of others I've seen posted on this forum. I feed shrimp pellets in the AM and a multi-component flake food in the PM. I'm really careful not to over-feed. Our water is moderately hard.

About the UGF: Keep in mind that, even with nitrate destruction from the UGF, one must still be concerned with salinity buildup (due to salts added as part of food, as well as from evaporation of pure water and its replacement by tap water ).

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:50 pm

redshark1 wrote: NancyD, it seemed to me that reverse flow UGF was a passing fad that didn't work and was ridiculous in concept. You didn't miss out on anything. Instead of trapping the particles in the gravel it blew them into the water column making for a very unsatisfactory view. I was advised to use it when I started and quickly changed my mind!
I thought RUGF was supposed to be used with HOB or other mechanical filter to remove particulates, the gravel just for biofiltration. No need to vac sounded quite nice. I now use pool filter sand in most tanks so UG wouldn't work.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi NandyD. Thanks for the extra discussion in agathokles thread.

Back in 1989 it was easier to vacuum the gravel than mess around cleaning the Fluval 403 external canister filter I purchased then.

Then, it didn't have quick release taps and was a nightmare to seal and get going again.

Also, the water appeared much cleaner with conventional under-gravel rather than by using reverse flow plus the extra canister.

However, the same Fluval 403 is still running today 22 years later.

I too like sand and have it in two of my other aquaria and don't vacuum in those. I just started with UGF in this one and kept it going because it works for me.

Besides, I'm pretty weird and love vacuuming!
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, since we're not sticklers for staying on topic here, I'll just say I vac pool sand too :lol: I love watching crud get sucked out.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Weirdo! :lol:

dlenn

Post by dlenn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:48 am

Your Clowns look lovely. How d'you get them to behave so well for the video?
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams

agathokles

Post by agathokles » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:43 am

@dienn: I have no idea! Just guessing, but I figure that having been kept by me for 20 years, they're quite used to me. When I crouch down with my head near the tank, they don't flee, but often "pose" as they did in the video. I've had many other fish over the years, but Clowns are the type that have made the biggest impression on me. They're the only fish I've had who display real personality.