Problem with 160 gallon rivertank (Updated 6/1/2011)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

Problem with 160 gallon rivertank (Updated 6/1/2011)

Post by chefkeith » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Some of the seams are going bad on the acrylic river tank that I built about 4 years ago. I think it's only a matter of a few days or weeks before it starts leaking.
I 1st noticed this seam going bad about a week ago.
Today I spotted this one going bad too.

I knew this tank wouldn't last forever because I didn't do a very good job when I built it. Not sure what I'll do with this tank, whether I repair it or replace it, but I'll need to act fast. I have a couple of brand new 50 gallon tanks that I was planning to set-up, so maybe that's my short-term solution. Poor clowns aren't going to like this one bit.
Last edited by chefkeith on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chefkeith

Re: Problem with 160 gallon rivertank

Post by chefkeith » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Another few problems:

To remove the tank from the fishroom it will need to go out the front window because it's too big to fit through the hallway. With all the snow on the ground that isn't a good option. So I might need to saw the tank in half or chop off about a foot of it's length so that it fits through the hallway.
It's too cold and snowy to to fix the tank outdoors. I'm afraid attempting to fix it wouldn't be worth the trouble anyway.

glenna

Post by glenna » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 pm

WHAT a bummer :(
Isn't there a way to support the failing seams from the OUTSIDE....at least to last you a while???
I would be in a panic. However, you have the 50 gallon tanks and this might not be optimal, but at least a place to LIVE while you work out the (bigger and better!!!) next tank!
That is one nice run they have right now. I'll bet it will be hard to decide how to divide the population beteen the smaller tanks.
glenna

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:46 am

there is always some work on tanks isn't there? The least work would have been fixing the running system from outside, but as the glue softens the joints temporaryliy the water should get out. Would the joints be accessible at all? Looks on the 2nd pic. like the front sits on top of the baseplate. That would make it possible to "weld/glue" a stripe over the joint. Grind the surface well and scratch a "V" into the seam itself, make sure any possible grease is removed pedantically. Original acryl-glue actually disolves the material and kind of welds it during curing, theoretically is not gluing but welding, once done to spec. Thats why the "V" makes sense, it allows enough glue(=solvent as well) to be applied. It needs UV light to cure properly. The benefit of acryl tanks is that they are easy to fix from the outside. Lowering water during gluing , or use new tanks until the hilly is cured.
In case you can empty the tank, reinforcing the inside joints would be great too, just keep in mind to redesign the joint according to industrial specs (scratching aout the "V" etc). Is there enough space for fixing it in the basement?

Purely theoretically it may be sufficient to scratch the "V" and fill with glue, give time to dissolve and than apply UV. I personnaly would do that on the inside and add a stripe outside. Or the other way round. Theoretically the weld should have the same strenght as Acryl itself and should become a safer tank than glass tanks. You my want to doublecheck professional literature to check any updates or primer application etc, and do a test on some pieces so you can verify the success of the technique applied.

Pleases keep us posted it would be a pitty to give that tank it up.
Wolfram

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:13 am

glenna,
I won't need to divide them. They'll also have a 190 gallon and and 85 gallon tanks to swim in. The tanks are all connected together with water bridges.

Here's a quick vid I just shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5G3zU5WEzs

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 am

wasserscheu- Evidently, for long-term use the acrylic was too thin for this size tank (8 ft long x 2 ft wide x 16 inches high).
I think I could build three 6 ft long plywood tanks and re-use this acrylic for the front and side windows.

glenna

Post by glenna » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:28 pm

I know that you did not want to have to do all that work, but it was VERY fun to watch.
Cool set up with the water bridges!
glenna

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks glenna.

I finished the demolition. The tank and stand are no more. I put the 95g acrylic sump tank in storage also. All this empty space sure has me thinking.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Here's the new pair of 50 gallon tanks. I built the stands a few months ago. I TIG welded them using steel square tubing. Then painted with a flat black exterior latex paint.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Trying to figure out the best spot for the new tanks.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:05 pm

As I'm filling the new tanks with water, I'm starting to think that using these with the water-bridges and for clown loaches is a bad idea. Reason being is that the glass thickness is only 1/4 inch. I think some of my bigger clown loaches are strong enough to break the glass if they get spooked.
These tanks would be good for other things, like for quarantine, and isolation for fry, shrimp, snails, ect. They'd be nice for a plants too.

I need to start designing another river tank, one that is built to last.

newshound

Post by newshound » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

what thickness of plex did you use?
it is only 16" high right?

I am building a plexi tank in the near future so this is of great interest to me.
ply/or liner tanks with one window are the cheap way to go!
thumbs up
drain your pool!

glenna

Post by glenna » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:48 pm

hey Chefkeith,
looking forward to seeing your design for the next river tank. I know it is a long term project so will patiently keep my eyes peeled. The idea of building a big tank is very intriguing! The largest tank I have is a 125 all-glass tank which is great. It cost me $$$ and is worth it, but I am getting the itch (long term plan when I finally get a real FISH room - right now I have tanks strewn all over the house) to try and build one myself someday.
Keep us posted on how your current set up progresses.
glenna

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm

newshound- It was 3/8" Cell Cast Acrylic. It lasted about as long as I expected it too, almost 4 years. I probably could of patched the 2 bad spots, but I don't want to kick myself later if a seam in the back that couldn't see failed without warning. Being unsure about the quality is the main drawback of all DIY tanks.