Sewellia Fry!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SgtMajWiggles

Sewellia Fry!

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:26 pm

On Monday (my 25th birthday!) I found 5 S. lineolata fry, 7-9mm, in my 55g river tank, which houses 1 male and 2 female adults, along with a whole bunch of other fish. Too many fish, really - most are moving to a 100g next month. I am afraid to even test the water quality to report it - this is sheer dumb luck, not flawless conditioning (Nitrates have started building up, I can't seem to keep them below 20 or 30 ppm with the tank overstocked). They eat well and have lots of current - that's about all I did right, I'm pretty sure. But I am hoping to be able to raise these fry up. They are now in a 1 gallon fry raiser jar (I got the kit from Angels Plus, I love their fish food!) I have fed them a little bit of algae wafer and some baby brine shrimp, and I put a little bit of gravel w/ algae on it in with them. Any tips for raising them? Particularly how not to kill them? :wink:

artem1961

Re: Sewellia Fry!

Post by artem1961 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 am

[quote="SgtMajWiggles"][/quote] Congratulations. If the aquarium enabling environment sevellia can spawn more than two months on a regular basis.

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:51 pm

I've read the articles on loaches.com, but I'd really love more information about collecting and raising the fry. Any resources you have would be appreciated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Congratulations!!! :D
I never removed hillstream fry from their spawning tank. They were content to graze on the plant leaves and then began eating the same food as the adults. If you can do that, its much easier. The key is not having fish in the tank that would eat the fry.

artem1961

Post by artem1961 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:15 am

Greetings from Russian fry sevellia lineolata. Fry live with their parents in 75 l Image

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:45 am

What a great birthday present for you!

Jim - that picture is amazing!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Yes, Artem, lovely picture! Lots of reticulation on some of those fish - more than mine. They look good!

artem1961

Post by artem1961 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 am

SgtMajWiggles wrote:Yes, Artem, lovely picture! Lots of reticulation on some of those fish - more than mine. They look good!
Sorry, but I mistakenly uploaded the wrong picture. Here lineolata adults and juveniles - sevellia spot.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Sorry Artem, for some reason I thought Jim had uploaded that picture!
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

artem1961

Post by artem1961 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 pm

SgtMajWiggles wrote:Yes, Artem, lovely picture! Lots of reticulation on some of those fish - more than mine. They look good!
I wanted to say that in the age of one month the fry spot, lineolata and spesisosa differ in the number and location of stripes and spots. now organized aquarium for spawning Sevele spesiosa of 40 liters, we'll see what happens. :D

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 am

Artem, yes, I am excited to see what happens, too! 8)

Right now I have my sewellias in a 55g river tank set-up with young botias, clowns and a brown african knife (!) :shock:

I removed the young because I was afraid the knife would eat them.

Fortunately, the botias, clowns, and knife are moving to a 100g in another month or so. I was using the 55g as a grow out tank. Now with the sewellias I can make the tank dedicated to breeding hillstreams :D I am very excited!

I found a garra panda at the shop and would very much like to keep and breed these in the 55g, as well - but don't know what problems I might encounter in doing so.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:26 pm

Jim - that picture is amazing!
I wish that was my pic!! :D
I have problems with survival of eggs, due to the tank mates of my Sewellia.I just get a survivor now and then. I am thinking of doing some changes so that I can have at least one tank for breeding Sewellia.
I found a garra panda at the shop and would very much like to keep and breed these in the 55g, as well - but don't know what problems I might encounter in doing so.
I think Panda Garras might eat the eggs. That's one of the problems with breeding Sewellia compared to L. disparis and P. cheni.
Those two species bury their eggs and so there are many survivors. When Sewellia scatter their eggs, they often just feed the tank mates.

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:06 pm

Jim, do you know if yours eat their own eggs?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm

If you are referring to the Sewellia, I really have no idea. There are enough other egg eaters in the tank. :(

candy77

Post by candy77 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:12 am

Hi all,

I recently found out that my two hillstream loaches had babies found the babies in my filtration systems for my 120 gallon. i put the babies in a 10 gallon tank so my other fish won't eat them they are about a few months old now. and i was wondering what does a person feed them?