Cross-species socialization (poor lonely blue)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Holdstrong

Cross-species socialization (poor lonely blue)

Post by Holdstrong » Mon May 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi all,

Been awhile since I've stopped by. Hope everyone is doing fine!

I'm looking for some advice on a sad, lonely Blue Loach I recently spotted in a LFS. He is in a bare 65g display tank with some very large fish, none of which are loaches. Looks a little anxious, but otherwise seems to be hanging in there.

The thought crossed my mind to try to rescue him from that situation. Putting aside the ethical dilemma of giving that store money, one of my main concerns is that I do not have any other blue loaches. Nor do I have room to add any.

I do however, have a small group of clowns. Do loaches socialize cross species? Would hanging out around clowns be an improvement for this guy? I don't want to "support" this LFS if I am not really improving his situation by much.

ahmandi2

Re: Cross-species socialization (poor lonely blue)

Post by ahmandi2 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm

What a great question~! Being a total newb at the whole loach thing, I wouldn't dare comment on it, other than to say, kudos for your kind heart!!!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu May 26, 2011 6:15 pm

He may be a only loach because he was aggressive to his previous tankmates. I wouldn't risk my clowns but some people do keep a modesta with clowns, apparently without problems.

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 am

Actually, I have kept modestas with clowns for many years--I had a group of 4 that were around 4" or more, while the clowns ranged from 2"-10" and I have never, ever had a problem with agression between the two species. In fact, when I was down to 1 modesta, it started schooling and begging with the clows. I believe the botias are similar enough in shape and behavior that they can get along happily, so if it were me, I'd take the little modesta home since I still keep clowns.