loaches and other fish dying

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

arny

loaches and other fish dying

Post by arny » Wed May 25, 2011 5:18 am

for the past few days some fish have died. 2 splash tetra and a penguin tetra. I tested the water yesterday and all parameters are fine. however today 2 ladder loach that I have have cloudy eyes and are breathing rapidly any ideas what this is? Im going to do a big water change but with all parameters normal I dont know where to go from there.
thanks for any advise you can give

Ashleigh

Re: loaches and other fish dying

Post by Ashleigh » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 am

When you say that your water parameters are fine, do you have the actual values? Do you use liquid test kits or the strips?

How long has the tank been setup for and can you go through your water changing schedule, how water is treated. Do you also have the readings from your tap water?

Do you have water splashing on the surface to increase o2 in the tank to help the loach with rapid breathing?

Ash

arny

Post by arny » Wed May 25, 2011 9:11 am

I have just done a water change and noticed the water temperature was 21 when its usually 25 degrees centigrade I think the heaters broken. could this be the reason for fish dying?
water parameters
pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
I have a liquid testing kit API. the tank has been set up for 7 years. I do a 25% water change once a week the tank is 260 litres
there is lots of water splashing on the surface there is a bubble machine and 3 air stones.
Tap water
pH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
I think that's all the questions asked.

arny

Post by arny » Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 pm

the heater is definitely not working the tank is still 21 when I uped the heater to 26. going to get a new heater now but can you tell me if this is the reason for the fish dying or could there be another problem?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun May 29, 2011 11:20 am

That could be it. Tropical fish do not usually do so well at 21*C. Something closer to 23-30*, depending on species.

21* is OK for temperate zone fish:
Dojo Loaches
White Cloud Minnows
Goldfish
many others.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!