Striata and Praecox Rainbows New Disease Info

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

DancesAlone

Striata and Praecox Rainbows New Disease Info

Post by DancesAlone » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Thought that I would post what the LFS owner found out for me regarding the strange Striata disease that formed a lateral line and then changed their coloring to look similar to a Kubotai. They all appeared to suffer from the famous 'Skinny Disease' wasted away and died dispite all treatents tried. Praecox get like a smudge of grayish to black mark(s) and then bloat, cannot eat and perish dispite treatment.

LFS checked with breeders of Praecox and Sellers, Distributors, and for the Striata the Sellers, Distributors and actual people who deal with the catching.

The Praecox have a bacterial disease, new to Rainbows and seems to only effect them specifically. If caught at the first sign of a black smudge you can attempt to treat with Furan or Kanamycin, This has been successful for some fish. (not mine) The infection effects their livers (the bloat) and thus they then die.

The Striata have a new parasite/wasting disease that does not respond to any form of Parasite Treatments thus far or Antibiotics. This is also Striata specific and does not spread to other species. One can attempt to rid them of Parasites but thus far everything tried has failed. The Striata 'come in' with this. The talk is perhaps is not Parasitres specifically but a combo that includes toxins from the areas where they are being caught.

Disclaimer (am only repeating what I was just told and normally would post the specific sources ect. or not post at all but I thought this may help some who struggled as I did to no avail) Hoping this is helpful to some.

On a side note: None of the Striata or Praecox I treated survived.
Older now but still running against the wind....
Dance like no one is watching
Sing like no one is listening
and Live each day like it's your last

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:30 am

got any pics? It would help alot.