Appropriate substrate for dojo loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Romantica

Appropriate substrate for dojo loaches

Post by Romantica » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi all! I am a new hobbyist interested in keeping dojo loaches. I have read a lot of conflicting information about what kind of substrate is appropriate for them. Most sites say "smooth, fine sand" but then none of the widely-available products I've seen seem to fit this criteria.

I really had my heart set on a black substrate, specifically Tahitian Moon Sand. Needless to say after hours of searching, I am quite frustrated because I haven't found a solution to my problem.

Tahitian Moon Sand is apparently too sharp and abrasive for burrowing fish and fish with barbels.
I liked the sound of 3M Colorquartz in black, but it has been discontinued.
Coal slag contains chemicals that might be unsafe.
Flourite is apparently too sharp.
I've seen things that suggest Eco-Complete is no good, either.

ARGH!!!!

Does anyone have a solution for me? Am I doomed to playsand? Is playsand even okay to use for dojo loaches? Links to suitable products would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS in advance. I am so incredibly frustrated by this.

P.S. I have also heard a lot of conflicting information on the adult size of dojo loaches in captivity. Can anyone clarify this for me? Some people say "up to 12 inches" yet others say "rarely more than ___ inches in captivity."

Sharkscott2

Re: Appropriate substrate for dojo loaches

Post by Sharkscott2 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:07 pm

I keep my Dojo's on Eco Complete. It's not ideal for them because they can't dig much in it. But it doesn't harm them.

There is also a product called Turface which is typically used for lands hacaping but many people use it for aquariums. It's smooth and very light weight. So light weight that planting can be difficult. I have it in a tank with my Syncrossus species, they don't really dig in it but will bury their entire heads while searching for food. I'm sure they could bury themselves if they desired. I bet it would be a good for Dojos. Do a little research on it, it can be hard for some people to find.

I have also used flourite sand for loaches. Althouh my LFS hasn't had the sand in sometime, just regular flourite which I wouldn't use.

Romantica

Post by Romantica » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Thank you for the reply. :)

Do you think the Flourite black sand would work? It's expensive but if my loaches will be able to root around in it, then it's worth the cost. I'm also planning to have a few live plants so that's an extra plus.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... kSand.html

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 pm

I keep my dojos on very small gravel that is rounded and smooth, no sharp edges. They have buried themselves in it from time to time, usually when I vacuum the gravel and the large vacuum tube spooks them. They'll do fine with that, or you could find out what kind of substrate your LFS keeps for the dojos they sell, and watch the tank to see if the dojos use it a lot to bury themselves.

Dojos also like caves to hide in, and must have a tight lid on their tank, or they'll get out, for sure.

They also are cooler water fish -- no prolonged temps above 70F.

Dojos are cute and playful. They like company of their own kind, so try to get at least three, but introduce them gradually, one at a time, so your cycle doesn't get off balance. If your tank is big enough, maybe more.

The main thing is to avoid rough, sharp or jagged edges, as they can hurt themselves on those.

-- Dojosmama

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 am

Pool filter sand works well for loaches, but it doesn't come in black. It is very inexpensive though -- 50# for $10.

Romantica

Post by Romantica » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks all, I decided to go with the Flourite since I plan on trying a planted tank anyway. I had to buy 3 bags... ouch!