Feeding

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FAILED

Feeding

Post by FAILED » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 pm

For all you guys and girls out there with hillstream setups how are you guys feeding your little guys?? Because I have temp hillstream setup with a power head to have a current in a 20L. But I noticed that most of the food (frozen bloodworms) get sucked into the filter or powerhead :evil: and this getting to me. I'm wondering how you guys n gals feed your little friends without losing most to the filter and in return gotta clean it out soo often. Thanks for any help!

Jim Powers

Re: Feeding

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:23 am

Depending on the tank, I turn off the power head during feeding in one tank, but in most, I have areas of slack current in the tank for that purpose. These can be created by using a piece of driftwood or a rock to deflect the current and create a calm area right behind the wood or rock.. You can also put food to the side of the powerhead where there is little current. The fish will soon learn to go to these calmer areas at feeding time.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 am

Jim, could you post a picture of your construction?

FAILED

Post by FAILED » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks Jim! WHEN I do setup the permanent tank I will be placing some driftwood and slate or big river rocks but, can't seem to find slate or those big rocks. So maybe for now just wood. Thinking of an 33L as for the permanent tank and as for filtration I'm going with an aqua clear 70 filter and an aqua clear 50 powerhead.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:13 pm

If you can't find the big river rocks in a fish store, try a garden center....or maybe even a river.

starsplitter7 wrote:
Jim, could you post a picture of your construction?
I don't think I have any pics that show what I described.