Clowns, do they ever stop eating?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Roo

Clowns, do they ever stop eating?

Post by Roo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 am

Having inherited a tank with 3 clowns in, I can't help but notice that they are always eating given the opportunity.

My father in law passed away & we have to sell his house. He has 3 tanks & we have decided to keep the biggest with the clowns in. I am concerned that I am not feeding them enough. At the moment, the tank has quite a large plec in (a common or pardalis I think), 4 Angel fish & the 3 clowns.

I am feeding them Hikari sinking wafers (they are about 1cm in diameter), bloodworm, frozen brineshrimp, flakes & assorted veg & fruit.

The clowns are about 6" long in total & my wife says that they are about 3 years old as far as she can recall.

How much should I feed them & is once a day sufficient?

EmilyMarie85

Re: Clowns, do they ever stop eating?

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 am

Sounds like you are feeding them a pretty good variety food, which is a very good thing :)

As far as how often, try feeding 2 (3 if you can) times a day, in smaller amounts. I have started feeding mine once in the morning, once when I get home and then again right before I go to bed. Here is a really good read on caring for loaches http://www.loaches.com/care/the-loach-almanac

On a side note, 6" clown loaches are pretty decent sized fish - you should post some pics for us :lol:
If you do decide to sell them, try to find a new home that already has a school of clowns they can join - you really want 5 or 6 at the minimum. They are very social fish and should really be kept in larger groups with their own kind.

Happy fish keeping!

Roo

Re: Clowns, do they ever stop eating?

Post by Roo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Thank you for your answer. We already have fish so I knew that these would need company. I think the tank is large enough for me to add at least another 2 Clowns. It has a great deal of wood & tunnels in so I think the guy knew about Clowns & they were well cared for. My other tanks are all 240L so too small for them which is why I am going to keep his 480L. It has 2 Fluval 405's on each end so it is adequately filtered but needs more current for them.

The tank's still in situ so I will be sure to post pics once it has been moved to its new location.