Gastromyzon missing an eye

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Nicolette

Gastromyzon missing an eye

Post by Nicolette » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 am

Hi, i'm new on this forum but have been reading almost everything i could on this forum about the gastromzyon sp.
Great website and great forum!

I have two Gastromyzon (i think they are a Ctenocephalus and a Stellatus. The Stellatus is quite a bit smaller than the Ctenocephalus. They are in a 30 liter tank with algae stones, as much current as i can give them and i keep the temperature around 22c.
There is some interaction between them. Sometimes they push and shove each other around. It did not seem serious. The Ctenocephalus does like showing off his blue fins though.

Today, however, i noticed the Stellatus is missing an eye. It has healed over nicely (he was hiding for a couple of days) and he is eating, does not seem to have lost weight. Sofar i think he will be allright.
They are the only 2 fish in the tank, together with a bunch of Japonica and mini-japonica shrimp.

What are the chances he might get hurt even more seriously or even get killed? Assuming they indeed had a scuffle, should i try to rehome one of them (i don't have space for more tanks, so i would need to find another loach enthusiast).

I appreciate any or all help you can give me.

Nicolette in The Netherlands

SgtMajWiggles

Re: Gastromyzon missing an eye

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:45 pm

If he's doing well I would say leave them be. If you add a couple more fish his size, that should help spread out the aggression.

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Kunnen we even 'n beetje nederlands praten? 'Kan ik nergens in de VS en vrees ik dat ik alles vergeten ben. Ik heb oefenen hard nodig! Ik was uitwisseling student naar Gronignen in 2002-3.

Waar zit jij met je "loaches?" Hoe noem je die in het nederlands?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:26 pm

I have never heard of a hillstream loach doing that kind of damage to another. Very strange!
I'm glad its doing well. I would leave it be, also.

Nicolette

Post by Nicolette » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for your answers. It does seem strange indeed. All info i've found tells me how tolerant they are. Maybe it was an accident.

Do you think i should add more fish and if so, what kind? One or two Gastromyzon?
Or would you know of others that would be compatible ánd fit in my tank.

thank you!

Nicolette

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm not sure of the length and width of a 30 liter tank, but, you could probably add another gastro or two provided you have enough filtration and hiding places.

CatsandFish

Post by CatsandFish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:39 am

@ Sgt Majwiggles, Met je Nederlands schrijven is in ieder geval niets mis hoor ;)

Could a Gastro's mouth open far enough and would it even be able to damage the other one?
Try And Pry Open Your Third Eye

Menu

Post by Menu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:42 am

CatsandFish wrote:@ Sgt Majwiggles, Met je Nederlands schrijven is in ieder geval niets mis hoor ;)

Could a Gastro's mouth open far enough and would it even be able to damage the other one?
Gastros are very peaceful, they would never hurt others.
Abrasions are the worst injuries I've seen so far.